eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Suggestion to make buddy referrals more effective

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Suggestion to make buddy referrals more effective

Just posted this in response to a post on the KT, where a user has yet again brought somebody to eBid and not got the buddy points because of the way the system works.

Repeating it in "suggestions" in the hope that the management will give it some consideration.

This is always a problem, it seems to me. By the time the person has looked around enough to know they wish to join, they've left your buddy link far behind.

I'd like to see a field on the registration form where new folks can enter the ID of the user who told them about ebid. I think that would be much more likely to work, and would be a real motivator.

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is always a problem, it seems to me. By the time the person has looked around enough to know they wish to join, they've left your buddy link far behind.

I'd like to see a field on the registration form where new folks can enter the ID of the user who told them about ebid. I think that would be much more likely to work, and would be a real motivator.
    I totally agree but would like to see things progress one step further. In the perfect world, altruism would reign supreme. But folks, this shore ain't that world! In order to coax a newcomer to give proper credit to their Ebid introducer, why not dangle a carrot in front of their shnoz in the form of an introductory buddy point complete with explanation of the importance thereof. This point could possibly be restricted to activation only after said newcomer has introduced yet another newcomer to Ebid. You can be sure that he/she would not fail to stress the importance of member-crediting to any and all prospects! As a form of differentiation from the regular buddy point system, this new point could have a separate identity, maybe something like an "ally point"? Figuring that the next reply will be something like "Way too complicated", "Da boyz got more important irons in the fire", or "When does the warranty period expire for your brain transplant?", I will remind all that this was only . . . . . .

Just a thought !

All-About tpypr
    View tpypr's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry -- Just feeling a little fatalistic at the moment.

Kimbo, there is something on the registration page all ready.

Name:  capture03 12-Jan-09 04.45.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.8 KB

So what I think should happen if the username is entered is that user is given the buddy points, or there should be a trace on the link so that the buddy points are automatically awarded to the correct user.

It's been ages since I had a buddy join

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Interesting idea.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Kimbo, there is something on the registration page all ready.

Name:  capture03 12-Jan-09 04.45.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.8 KB

So what I think should happen if the username is entered is that user is given the buddy points, or there should be a trace on the link so that the buddy points are automatically awarded to the correct user.

It's been ages since I had a buddy join

Excellent - that would be really easy to code then, since the field's already there. The top excuse for not making changes is "the database won't do it", now we know that one won't work.

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

One of the upgrades - over a year ago so I'm not searching for it - was to track users who had come onto the site through a buddy link so it didn't matter if they had a potter about before joining. So, as long as new members come onto the site through your link, you'll still get the buddy points.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmjewels925 View Post
    One of the upgrades - over a year ago so I'm not searching for it - was to track users who had come onto the site through a buddy link so it didn't matter if they had a potter about before joining. So, as long as new members come onto the site through your link, you'll still get the buddy points.

That's interesting, thanks. I know the buddy link populates a cookie, so I can picture how this might work... I think I'd like ebid themselves to confirm it (no offence, I don't doubt you, but things change!)

Thread Information