eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Linux

Default Re: Ubuntu Linux

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    I assume you did try it "live" before installing and that it worked then? I always use the cd iso converted to memory stick using LiLi (Linux Live) to get a really fast boot, and test everything out before going for full installation. I assume also that you used the checksum to verify that the iso you downloaded was perfect. Checking with the previous version may also help isolate the problem.

You can get LiLi here: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

It's a free program.
    Yes i ran it live from CD 1st & it booted up fine on 1st try everytime, I also checked the ISO after I downloaded it & verified the disc after burning. But after installing is where the issue came in, does not boot up on 1st try just hangs on black screen, let it set for 15 minutes one time to make sure it wasn't boot up. But starts up fine on 2nd boot every time.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    I deleted windows from it ...
    Very good choice, Sir. Very good choice!

Seriously though, what a weird symptom. I wonder if it's worth calling or mailing HP's support. HP are good about Linux support for their printers, I would hope it's true also for their laptops.

Usually the full model number is on the underside somewhere.

I've no experience with encrypted drives. It's been possible for several years, so you would think it's reliable. But it might be worth trying unencrypted install first.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Ok reformated hard drive & installed linux mint 17.3 cinnamon edition without encrypting the installation or home folder & it is working great.
    I am loving it so far.

Question 1: Can I encrypt the home folder after i have installed Linux-Mint.
    Question 2: Setting up Thunderbird with my email service should i go with pop or imap setting & what is the difference.

I can't wait to play around with this more.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    Ok reformated hard drive & installed linux mint 17.3 cinnamon edition without encrypting the installation or home folder & it is working great.
    I am loving it so far.

Question 1: Can I encrypt the home folder after i have installed Linux-Mint.
    Question 2: Setting up Thunderbird with my email service should i go with pop or imap setting & what is the difference.

I can't wait to play around with this more.
    That's great news. Happy Christmas!

Q1: I don't know for sure, I've never played with encrypted partitions. I'd be surprised if you could do it in place.

You could use a live CD, such as the one you installed from, to run gparted and resize your partition(s) to gain some space for an extra partition and encrypt that. If you really want your home partition encrypting, you could then copy everything (including hidden files) from /home to your new encrypted partition and edit /etc/fstab.

However, I'd only do that as a learning exercise, I think it would be quicker just to reinstall with home encrypted from the outset.

Q2: Of course that's a general question, not a Linux one. IMAP is a later protocol and (assuming your mail provider offers it, most do) it has significant advantages, especially if you read your mail on more than one computer. POP3 was the way of providing mail service back in the days when your provider thought 10MB was generous and you were expected to use the server only as a temporary staging place. Whereas IMAP you can leave your mail on the server, even have folders and move your mails around, and/or delete them, and the IMAP protocol tells the server what you're doing and keeps everything in sync. So next time you connect from a mail client running on another computer everything is sync'd.

However, if you're using gmail, beware. They offer IMAP, but instead of folders they tag your mail with labels and IMAP doesn't understand that concept. So some people prefer to use POP3 with gmail.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information