Thread: Ninja Lister glitch

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Ninja Lister glitch

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    Have you looked at the bay listing.
    Yes, but it is not a lot of help in seeing what is going on there as the listing description does not appear to be in the page code sent, I guess it is fed in when the browser creates the page. It didn't seem worth my time trying to wade through the morass of eBay code to try and figure it out.

The fact remains that eBid is sending the cellspacing and cellpadding attributes to the browser, so it should process them if it can. The fact the browser is not actioning the cellspacing attribute would lead me to think the issue is with the browser or the way the browser is being instructed to behave by the eBid page.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    Thank you very much Mel that works great, here is the listing if you want to see.
    http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/wolverin...-138451787.htm if you want to see.

You have been great help.
    Great. You could probably lose border-collapse:separate from the edits as I think that is the default value for tables anyway. I just included it as 'belt and braces' in case it had been set elsewhere to another value that could affect your table. Up to you whether you feel it worth experimenting with it to see if it makes any difference whether you include it or not.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

From doing some reading on the web I may have a reason why the problem exists.

Both cellpadding and cellspacing are deprecated table attributes and CSS is now the 'correct' way to format those aspects of table layout.

Some sources indicate that CSS settings will overrule any settings made by cellspacing and cellpadding. So regardless of what settings you make using those two attributes any prior CSS setting will overrule them when the table is displayed.

Checking a problem listing and looking at what settings are against the table element eBid sets border-spacing on tables to zero in added.css which, if the sources are correct, means setting cellspacing in your code is a waste of time as the table inherits the zero border-spacing from eBid's CSS. The only way to get the layout you want is to overrule eBid's CSS with your own CSS for the element.

This would provide an explanation as to why your code works on some sites but not on others; it depends on if the site's CSS is overruling your code or not.
    Last edited by astral276; 23rd April 2015 at 11:41 AM.

Here is the response I got from support today.

Hi Ray,

In order to look into the problem we need the listing ID#'s please. If you can send us the ID's of live listings of the three listings you sent us in the eBay file we will be able to compare the 3 states ...
    1. Within the eBay File -> 2. After import into NL -> 3. After upload to eBid.

Also please let us know the description editor you are using within NL as the WYSIWYG editor can change html code it finds to be erroneous.

Also, be aware that if you have CSS data within <head> tags or before a <body> tag in your descriptions it will be removed when uploaded.

Best Wishes
    eBid Support Team

The sad part is that I have sent the requested info on the 21st when it was requested along with several other emails stating what you & I have figured out so far.
    I sent the emails again to support today so hopefully they will make sure they aren't going to a spam folder.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

All this wasn't your original query though, was it?

I got the impression that the thread was started because of an odd display glitch happening to the Ninja Lister application itself (the superimposition of two screens).

The thread was started about the 2 screens being merged, but my emails to support have been about the screens merging & about the html code ignoring the cellspacing.

Thread Information