Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: 2nd time reporting this problem, items not coming up in search....

Default 2nd time reporting this problem, items not coming up in search....

We had a customer who was trying to find our 2005-06 Ultra hockey cards on our site so if you search by 2005-06 on our store, guess what, nothing comes up, it does show 302 results for hockey under the link to the left, well if you hit that, it comes up blank to. So we are reporting this for the 2nd time this year, many of our 22,000 items cannot be found on ebid and we need a site that works 100% especially with searches, we cannot make sales if customers cannot find our stuff, please fix this immediately, its the 2nd time we have reported this problem and it still is not fixed.

Default Re: 2nd time reporting this problem, items not coming up in search....

Quote Originally Posted by thecardattic View Post
    We had a customer who was trying to find our 2005-06 Ultra hockey cards on our site so if you search by 2005-06 on our store, guess what, nothing comes up, it does show 302 results for hockey under the link to the left, well if you hit that, it comes up blank to. So we are reporting this for the 2nd time this year, many of our 22,000 items cannot be found on ebid and we need a site that works 100% especially with searches, we cannot make sales if customers cannot find our stuff, please fix this immediately, its the 2nd time we have reported this problem and it still is not fixed.
    There are a number of issues at the moment regarding searches within stores.

I can quote you what I have been told........

"We will be making a few improvements to the search system in the next week"

awesome, thanks for sharing that info, very much appreciated!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

It could be that the minus sign (-) is being treated as an exclusion, so 2005-06 is interpreted as return those items containing 2005 but exclude any that also contain 06.

The eBid search engine has long had issues with the minus sign. I don't know why, it should only be treated as an exclusion when it is either the first character in the search string or it is preceded by a space and immediately followed by a search term (word). In 2005-06 it should be treated as a hyphen and form a part of the search term.

The eBid search engine is very poor (and has been so at least since I got here). It needs a total revamp to make it fit for purpose on a site such as this - where a good search engine is paramount.
    Last edited by astral276; 10th February 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

have you reported it direct to support? or just on the forums?
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

I used to have the same problem with advanced searches in Google. The solution was to enclose the search string in quotes.

I entered "2005-06" in your store and it brought up 337 listings.

The main eBid search seems to behaving itself in a reasonable fashion - there were however, major problems back in December where a simple search was returning 1,000's of items it should not have picked up (making the search useless), thankfully that is sorted.

The main problem now is the store search itself which is unable to replicate the searches carried out on the main eBid page - it would appear there are two different search engines. The example given by thecardattic is along the same lines that I have been bugging support about (but it is much more than just the hyphen). So being a store glitch it is largely affecting return custom where the buyer goes direct to the shop to search. As Astral states a good search engine is of paramount importance - and without it I am pretty stuffed !
    Last edited by deanosaur1972; 11th February 2013 at 01:14 AM.

I have not reported it directly to support, they always seem to be on top of the website glitches forum I too noticed that the 2005-06 brings up all of my stuff in the overall ebid site search but returns 0 items on my store search, it does have links that show up on the left to 337 listings with 2005-06 in them but when you click any of those links, it brings up 0 items again.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

I just now searched your store ... results were 313
    for 2005-06 in Hockey.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thecardattic View Post
    I have not reported it directly to support, they always seem to be on top of the website glitches forum I too noticed that the 2005-06 brings up all of my stuff in the overall ebid site search but returns 0 items on my store search, it does have links that show up on the left to 337 listings with 2005-06 in them but when you click any of those links, it brings up 0 items again.
    On it. Fix should be within 24hrs.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thread Information