eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Apple Computing Categories

Forum Lurker
    View ZenKarma's Feedback (+61)
    All-About ZenKarma
    View ZenKarma's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Apple Computing Categories

I just noticed in the Computing category you have a category listed as "Apple & Macintosh" and various sub-categories underneath that.

Apple & Macintosh doesn't really make any sense because Macintosh is just a computer product brand name made by Apple Computer Ltd in the late 80's early 90's. It actually comes from the fruit Apple of the same name (Mcintosh) but with different spelling if you want a piece of truly useless trivia!

It would be like having a main Computing category called Microsoft & Windows or Intel & Pentium or Sun & Sparcstation, those should be sub-categories not main categories.

I also noticed you have all manner of Apple consumer products (also listed under the Apple & Macintosh Computing category), despite having other more appropriate Categories they should be in, the only link being that they're made by Apple.

Apple iPhones should be in the Consumer Electronics > Phones > Mobile & Cell Phone category under the brand Apple.
    Apple iPods should be under the Consumer Electronics > Audio MP3 & HiFi category under the brand Apple.
    Apple iPads should be under the Computing > Tablets category under brand Apple. You might want to consider combining Tablets and and eReaders into the same category.

Could I please suggest then that you consider changing the Apple & Macintosh computing sub-category into simply Apple or Apple Computer or Apple Computers and move the iPod and iPhone sub-categories into more appropriate categories under Consumer Electronics and iPad into Computing > Tablets.

Thanks.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Apple Computing Categories

thread needs to be moved to the category forum!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Lurker
    All-About ZenKarma
    View ZenKarma's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    thread needs to be moved to the category forum!
    You may well be right.

However, from what I can tell the category forum is essentially about the addition of new categories under existing ones.

What I'm suggesting/requesting is a fundamental rethink of the Apple Computing Category which goes beyond the simple addition of new categories and will impact other categories as well, which you could argue is a website change.

It's just not logical to me at all that an Apple iPod, which is basically an MP3 Audio player should be listed in the Apple Computing Category when it should be in the Consumer Electronics > Audio, MP3 and HiFi Category.

It's a grey area where the two forums overlap.

I don't really mind where this post goes as long as someone considers the request.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenKarma View Post

Apple iPhones should be in the Consumer Electronics > Phones > Mobile & Cell Phone category under the brand Apple.
    Apple iPods should be under the Consumer Electronics > Audio MP3 & HiFi category under the brand Apple.
    Apple iPads should be under the Computing > Tablets category under brand Apple. You might want to consider combining Tablets and and eReaders into the same category.

Could I please suggest then that you consider changing the Apple & Macintosh computing sub-category into simply Apple or Apple Computer or Apple Computers and move the iPod and iPhone sub-categories into more appropriate categories under Consumer Electronics and iPad into Computing > Tablets.

Thanks.
    I think you'll find that the
    ipad
    ipod
    &
    iphones
    in the Apple Mac computing category, are all ghost categories,
    as they are all in italics.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Lurker
    All-About ZenKarma
    View ZenKarma's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    I think you'll find that the ipad, ipod & iphones in the Apple Mac computing category, are all ghost categories, as they are all in italics.
    Yes they are, but who would look for a mobile phone or MP3 player in Computing? Are they computers? The only tenuous link they share is as I've said in my first post - they just happen to share the same manufacturer - Apple.

Shall we put ghost categories into Fridge Freezers for LCD Televisions because they both just happen to be made by Samsung?

What about RAM memory made specifically for Apple computers, shall we put that under Computing > Apple & Macintosh > Accessories or does it go in Computing > RAM?

That's just one example of many - the whole Computing Category is a muddled mess.

No wonder so many buyers here complain so bitterly about not being able to find anything.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

The links in Computers are ghost links to their real home in electronics.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thread Information