Thread: Idea for an ideas system

Forum Lurker
    View graphskill's Feedback (+39)
    All-About graphskill
    View graphskill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Idea for an ideas system

Hi

The e-commerce system i use has a great ideas system based on USerVoice, you can see it in action here:
    http://ideas.ecwid.com/pages/22031-ideas-ecwid

Could you implement something like this as it would allow you and us to log ideas, vote for them, see which ideas have been adopted etc.

The way it is worked is that the more votes an idea gets, the higher up the development list it is put - I think they do a free version

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Idea for an ideas system

Parts of that would be useful but not all of it.

I like the idea of suggestions being split into sections depending on what part of the site they impact. A system like that may reduce the number of duplicate threads asking for the same thing. I also think it would make it easier to see what changes have been implemented. You can check on the site update notifications thread but it's not the most user friendly thread out there.

The main part I wouldn't like is the ability to vote. Not all suggestions that are superficially popular would necessarily be good for this site. But the main reason I don't think the vote function is a good idea is because eBid is not a democracy. Indeed, if it wasn't for the fact that Gazza occasionally asks for a poll to be set up, I would like to see the function removed from all the forums other than the Kitchen Table.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

Forum Lurker
    View graphskill's Feedback (+39)
    All-About graphskill
    View graphskill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmjewels925 View Post

The main part I wouldn't like is the ability to vote. Not all suggestions that are superficially popular would necessarily be good for this site.
    I agree there, but it would also give admin the chance to explain that they were not implementing that popular idea, and say why.

A great feature of that particular system is that when you try to add an idea it searches the ideas database as you type and comes up with suggestions of similar ideas already in the list which really does cut down on repeat requests

eBid is not a democracy
    Also agree there, and not should it be,but on the other hand, ideas form the people who actually use the system must be useful to the dev team?

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graphskill View Post
    I agree there, but it would also give admin the chance to explain that they were not implementing that popular idea, and say why.
    One of the most frustrating things about posting suggestions is admin's lack of communication. You don't know if they've added the idea to the to-do list, dismissed it out-of-hand, filed it away for later consideration or just plain haven't seen it.

A great feature of that particular system is that when you try to add an idea it searches the ideas database as you type and comes up with suggestions of similar ideas already in the list which really does cut down on repeat requests
    That would be a great feature for a suggestions forum but, as the site has changed so much over the years, it might cause problems on the 'help' forums.

Also agree there, and not should it be,but on the other hand, ideas form the people who actually use the system must be useful to the dev team?
    Guess admin agree, too. Well, they did set up this suggestion forum. Just wish they'd be a bit more pro-active on it.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes it would be great if Gazza would let us know their thoughts on our suggestions.
    Eg
    we will do it,
    we will think about it,
    we won't do it because.

Thread Information