My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: buyers getting strikethough ?

I think it's brilliant that ebid could suspend users who are not receiving or responding to e-mails. A great way to get their attention! There are far too many people who are clueless in the art of personal communication over the Internet. I personally don't mind if eBid sheds a few users who have false e-mail addresses or spam filters as big as a black hole. Poor communications make more people mad than just the person not responding to e-mails that they did or didn't get.
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Personally, I would rather see every attempt to hold on to all legitimate / honest ebidders, (including those with less than perfect computing skills). I'm sure each and every one of us have strengths AND deficiencies when it comes to online sales and all that it entails.
    Surely we wouldn't want ebidders made up of only those who can correctly configure their spam filters. Yes - it happens to be an important requirement, but for those who are 'gone forever' from eBid because of such an oversight - well, I think that's a big shame.

Computer technology can be confusing for one reason or another, and some learn faster than others. Those who don't have all the clues need to be helped. There are good people who would make excellent sellers but who are a little intimidated by online technology. They can be helped. We all had to start learning at some point. And some who haven't grown up with computers may have to start their learning a lot later in life - when the process can be harder for them. But they deserve the chance..........

That's really why those who have the expertise it setting up such technolgies should always (IMO) make it as simple and straight forward as possible to maximize enjoyment for all and minimize confusion.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    Personally, I would rather see every attempt to hold on to all legitimate / honest ebidders, (including those with less than perfect computing skills). I'm sure each and every one of us have strengths AND deficiencies when it comes to online sales and all that it entails.
    Surely we wouldn't want ebidders made up of only those who can correctly configure their spam filters. Yes - it happens to be an important requirement, but for those who are 'gone forever' from eBid because of such an oversight - well, I think that's a big shame.

Computer technology can be confusing for one reason or another, and some learn faster than others. Those who don't have all the clues need to be helped. There are good people who would make excellent sellers but who are a little intimidated by online technology. They can be helped. We all had to start learning at some point. And some who haven't grown up with computers may have to start their learning a lot later in life - when the process can be harder for them. But they deserve the chance..........

That's really why those who have the expertise it setting up such technolgies should always (IMO) make it as simple and straight forward as possible to maximize enjoyment for all and minimize confusion.
    Being a non-techie myself, I couldn't agree more.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

This issue seems to be losing me a steady stream of, what appear to be, good buyers.
    Last edited by kedo; 4th February 2011 at 05:32 AM.

It sounds like you're directly contradicting yourself here. It's a requirement but should be optional? Hmmm... Maybe the problem is that you have an inherent sense that ebid membership is a right, not a privilege? Ebid is a privately owned site, and we have to follow their rules if we want to maintain good standing. That sounds fair to me. Maybe you would be in favour of letting everyone who wants to drive to get behind the wheel because driving is a right regardless of whether they have licenses or not? At least here in Canada, driving is not a right, it's something you have to prove you're capable of doing before you get your license. Ditto for being a member of ebid... you have to prove that you have valid contact information before you're turned loose on the site to engage in transactions. Ebid's safeguards are not 100% effective, but they're a lot better than nothing. If someone's account is frozen because they are in violation of the rules, it's not up to ebid to chase down the person and get their attention. If a person leaves the site because they're not willing to lift a finger to keep their account active, I say tough luck and adios, there's a site for the indignant and the braindead. It's called eBay, and you can break the rules wantonly there because you can always sign up more accounts when they suspend you.

I'm quite in favour of having some expectations of users of ebid. Having certain expectations means that qualified users have passed the "smell test" and I don't think I'm being unreasonable that when I attempt to communicate with another user, my messages are getting through. The messages may not be read by the recipients but they should be getting through! Ebid can't legislate good manners, unfortunately.
    Last edited by marschenegger; 3rd February 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: purple monkey dishwasher
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Good one, Steve. Couldn't have put it better myself!

I'm all for getting rid of absent sellers etc but like the OP (many months ago) one of my recent buyers ended up with strikethrough on his name - AFTER he paid INSTANTLY with Paypal! What IS going on?
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Greetings marschenegger,
    I was referring to a simple oversight by someone starting up on eBid, not the intentional breaking of rules. (there's a difference here)

No, I don't view eBid membership as a right, any more than the right to go into the local supermarket to buy and pay for goods. If you're the average reasonable shopper you're not seen by the shop as a priveliged person. They encourage you to use their outlet, and you in turn simply act as a respectful customer. It cuts both ways..... and so far I haven't got the impression eBid staff view membership as a privelige.
    I think it would be fair to say that eBid AND their members both mutually try to benefit from their relationship. Along the way there's simply a need to stay respectful (by all parties) and to keep moving forward...

Thread Information