Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: What is Date For the Dairy

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tizme View Post
    Maybe we should have a new post entitled 'What is the new date for the diary'?

Or is it a thread? Sorry peeps I just cannot get my head round posts and threads, no matter how it's explained. You can't beat good old questions and answers IMO
    i agree..makes life so much simpler..this is a post..all these posts are on a thread

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry peeps I just cannot get my head round posts and threads, no matter how it's explained. You can't beat good old questions and answers IMO
    A 'post' is a single message. A 'thread' is a series of posts on the topic of the original post (theoretically at least - as threads can go off the original topic). So all messages under this topic are posts but each is a part of the thread. (A bit like a string of beads?)

This thread is on the topic of the event that was planned for the 25th; but your query, and my response, has taken it off topic. It may recover to its original topic, continue off at a tangent, evolve in another direction, or simply die a natural death through lack of further interest and new posts.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ejean9 View Post
    i agree..makes life so much simpler..this is a post..all these posts are on a thread

As i understand it this is a thread
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    A 'post' is a single message. A 'thread' is a series of posts on the topic of the original post (theoretically at least - as threads can go off the original topic). So all messages under this topic are posts but each is a part of the thread. (A bit like a string of beads?)

This thread is on the topic of the event that was planned for the 25th; but your query, and my response, has taken it off topic. It may recover to its original topic, continue off at a tangent, evolve in another direction, or simply die a natural death through lack of further interest and new posts.
    Okay call me thick! In my way of thinking...
    Post = the original OP - opening poster
    Thread = a reply to the original post/OP
    but
    from what I read here threads have become posts and if you see the chat about anything/kt it states start a thread???

TOTALLY CONFUSED
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Okay call me thick! In my way of thinking...
    Post = the original OP - opening poster
    Thread = a reply to the original post/OP
    but
    from what I read here threads have become posts and if you see the chat about anything/kt it states start a thread???
    No.

Post = A message written by a user and placed on the forum. So every message is a post.

Thread = A collection of linked posts (messages) on the topic of the first post.

The first post on a topic is not, technically, a thread. It only becomes a thread when other people start adding to it. So post #1 on this topic was a post - with the potential to become a thread. Once post #2 was added it became a thread. All contributions are posts in their own right but they form part of a thread.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    No.

Post = A message written by a user and placed on the forum. So every message is a post.

Thread = A collection of linked posts (messages) on the topic of the first post.

The first post on a topic is not, technically, a thread. It only becomes a thread when other people start adding to it. So post #1 on this topic was a post - with the potential to become a thread. Once post #2 was added it became a thread. All contributions are posts in their own right but they form part of a thread.
    So eBid should state posts not threads on the forums?

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

So eBid should state posts not threads on the forums?
    Depends on where you are looking. When you go to a forum the option is to start a 'New Topic' and not a new thread.

Most new topics do go on to become threads. It is rare for an original post to not receive any replies. So when you start a new topic on forum there is maybe a 99.9% chance that you are starting a new thread - but, as said, technically a thread must have more than one post in it.

Terminology can be used rather loosely at times and can be corrupted/changed over time. Don't let it bother you though. You know how to post and reply on the forums so what the proper term for what you are doing is doesn't really matter.

Thread Information