Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please may I suggest...

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Decoupage is found in scrapbooking.. Let us know any more.

Thx
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

OK - well I am sure that this will get me into a great deal of trouble with eBidders who like cardmaking but that isn't découpage!

Découpage, from the French "découper" meaning to cut out, is a very old craft originating in Italy during the 17th century. Described simply it involves the placing of cut-outs on furniture and objects for decorative purposes. The item is then given up to twenty coats of varnish so that the cut-outs are no longer raised above the object and become "merged" with it. It sounds a simple technique but the most extraordinary effects can be achieved http://www.decoupage.org/gallery.htm and antique découpaged furniture, screens and boxes etc fetch high prices! Today découpers have started using paper serviettes as well for this technique as they are very fine and so do not require so many coats of varnish. This craft remains very popular in Europe ( eg, there are currently 149 pages of craft serviettes listed on e*** France and more on e*** Italy).

Essentially, therefore, découpage is a flat, surface decoration. In the 18th century the craft was extended to Paper Tole which involved cutting out sections of multiple copies of the same picture. Glue was then used to separate the pieces (which were shaped and curled) from one another as they were built into a realistic 3D representation of the original picture.

In recent times cardmakers have started to use the Paper Tole technique to build 3D card designs by placing cut-outs in layers one above the other with glue or sticky pads in between. There is no varnishing required. This was initially referred to as 3D decoupage, papertole and even pyramid decoupage but lately I have seen the shorthand description of "decoupage" used. IMHO this is incorrect as it has caused confusion.

Crafters who wish to work on true découpage and Paper Tole projects would not be looking in cardmaking for their supplies -which is why I have put them in "other" at present!

I would suggest that the sub category of decoupage in cardmaking and scrapbooking should be renamed 3D decoupage (but cardmakers may have other suggestions!) and the word decoupage should be reserved for a category for true decoupage with its sub-category of serviette technique as I originally requested. It should be placed alongside the section for blanks also requested.

I hope this helps clarify the different crafts!

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

We have just spent some time sorting out the needlework cats and having them listed as we would see them in the cats did help. If you look at the new added cats the majority of them were accepted where they were listed in the way its shown in the sticky..

So perhaps if when you ask them, you give them the changes in the format they would add/change that would help. Here are your suggestion...what else do you need added.

CHANGE:
    Crafts and Sewing>Scrapbooking and Cardmaking>Decoupage
    TO
    Crafts and Sewing>Scrapbooking and Cardmaking>3D Decoupage

Add two new categories to Crafts and Sewing:

Crafts and Sewing>Decoupage>Serviette Technique
    Crafts and Sewing>Decoupage>Supplies
    Crafts and Sewing>Decoupage>other

Crafts and Sewing> Blanks/Supports> galvanised metal
    Crafts and Sewing> Blanks/Supports> wood/MDF
    Crafts and Sewing> Blanks/Supports> papier maché.
    Crafts and Sewing>Blanks/Supports>other
    Last edited by stitchysyl; 14th March 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks stitchsyl - I can't really see how that differs from my OP which was set out as per gazza's instructions but if you think it will help:

CHANGE:
    Crafts and Sewing>Scrapbooking and Cardmaking>Decoupage
    TO
    Crafts and Sewing>Scrapbooking and Cardmaking>3D Decoupage

Add two new categories to Crafts and Sewing:

Crafts and Sewing>Decoupage>Supplies
    Crafts and Sewing>Decoupage>Serviette technique

Crafts and Sewing> Blanks/Supports> galvanised metal
    Crafts and Sewing> Blanks/Supports> wood/MDF
    Crafts and Sewing> Blanks/Supports> papier maché.
    Crafts and Sewing>Blanks/Supports>other

I wouldn't suggest a "decoupage - other" sub category is necessary because there would then be a danger of cardmaking supplies and also hand crafted decoupaged items appearing there rather than in the correct places.

I would agree that perhaps a "Blanks/supports - other" section might be useful (although probably very small) as glass items etc could be placed there.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Added
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thread Information