Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Plastic Milk Bottle Tops

Forum Lurker
    Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    View bubblegumgirl's Feedback (+11)
    All-About bubblegumgirl
    View bubblegumgirl's Listings
    Forum Posts

I will certainly put the tops on one side to send to you as we have to take the tops off our recycled bottes. If they are left on they put them straight into landfill as they " haven't the manpower or time to take the tops off the bottles"

All sorts of everything from scuba fins to florists display and books galore
    for craft supplies and kits
    Unique gifts handmade by me

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am still highly dubious about the economics of this exercise. Plastic has to be in huge volume to be worth anything, and I find it difficult to believe that the postage price on sending anything to Craig by any means from any place isn't hugely more expensive than the value of the item sent.

For example, these people (who seem to know their business) say the charity collection minimum for plastic bottle tops is 5 tonnes. That's 5,000 kilos. One kilo sent by second class post would cost £2.70. So if 5,000 people sent you a kilo each, that would be £13,500 spent in getting it to you. I don't know what the per tonne price of scrap plastic is, but I'm guessing it's not £2,700/tonne. And how many wheelchairs could you buy for £13,500 if everybody kept their plastic* and just donated the money?

Please think this through before promoting it any more; it would be so sad to see such goodwill wasted.

*and put it in their local recycling.

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

I appreciate the calculations and agree that shipping costs could quickly outpace the value of the milk jug caps. HOWEVER when I offered to send some, my innate packrattiness was in ascendancy. We must not forget some people get mild thrills from hoarding, recycling, reusing and any kind of "free" rewards, sometimes ignoring practicality.

Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post
    Is that the thing that the goverment set up, think they started you off with summit like 150.00 maybe less not sure,

do you contribute to it each month and how much do you have to put in, or can you put in what you like
    Yep they give you a voucher of £150 to put in a trust fund, then when the child reaches 7 they get another £150 voucher, Currently I'm contributing £15 per month

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAda View Post
    Craig, do you want some from the US? And, do you know if there's an ending date for your collecting? I know somebody who drinks quite a bit of milk. I could save up the caps until there is a big mountain of them, and mail them to you as a one time thing.
    Ada, if your able to that would be great, not been informed of the end date for them though

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegumgirl View Post
    I will certainly put the tops on one side to send to you as we have to take the tops off our recycled bottes. If they are left on they put them straight into landfill as they " haven't the manpower or time to take the tops off the bottles"
    Thanks bubblegum.
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Thread Information