Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebooks Ban

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Ebooks Ban

I hardly ever buy books in hard copy as I can't physically read them due to ongoing health issues.

I buy audio books as well as ebooks which I read on a cloud reader.

I am currently a psychology student and all books recommended as well as set books are ebooks so I don't know why they are still banned here.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Ebooks Ban

I would think that it is probably owing to them being digitally delivered and difficulty verifying that the seller has the legal right to sell the item. If one owns a physical copy of a book they have the right to sell that copy, but not to reproduce it and sell copies of it. Anyway, that is my guess.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I hardly ever buy books in hard copy as I can't physically read them due to ongoing health issues.

I buy audio books as well as ebooks which I read on a cloud reader.

I am currently a psychology student and all books recommended as well as set books are ebooks so I don't know why they are still banned here.
    How come you can't read a hard copy book but can type and read text on a computer?

Edit - at 6.01pm you resurrected an old post. At 6.04pm you started your own on the same subject? Is this called promotion of your listings?
    Last edited by Gill; 13th February 2017 at 10:18 PM.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    How come you can't read a hard copy book but can type and read text on a computer?

Edit - at 6.01pm you resurrected an old post. At 6.04pm you started your own on the same subject? Is this called promotion of your listings?

The people on here who know me well understand why I can't read books in hard copy

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31262)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    I would think that it is probably owing to them being digitally delivered and difficulty verifying that the seller has the legal right to sell the item. If one owns a physical copy of a book they have the right to sell that copy, but not to reproduce it and sell copies of it. Anyway, that is my guess.
    This is an issue for me because a book I wrote is quite popular in South East Asia, but is prohibitively expensive to post there.

I can't sell and post through Ebid, so last time I flew to Thailand and Singapore a lot of the weight allowance was books in the suitcase!

Kindle has its problems, like being surprisingly expensive, and if I email a digital copy then it can be reproduced, redistributed without me taking author's commission.

What would be great would be an Ebid-"Kindle" which can give authors a more realistically price for selling their work
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know there are people who can't/won't read newspapers and books because the acidic nature of the ink and paper causes them severe skin problems. My dad was like that. He would sometimes wear gloves to read the paper, but as an avid reader earlier in his life, it was really an issue. Not easy to read like that. But computer keyboards and electronics aren't acidic like that. And I don't think it's nice that you insinuate that one of the nicest eBidders is doing something not nice. Just because you might not understand their reasoning for something, doesn't mean it is nefarious.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

In 1942, Walt Disney made a movie called "Bambi". One of my favorite scenes was this conversation:

Thumper: He doesn't walk very good, does he?

Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!

Thumper: Yes, mama?

Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?

Thumper: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    The people on here who know me well understand why I can't read books in hard copy
    Hence the question was asked
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I know there are people who can't/won't read newspapers and books because the acidic nature of the ink and paper causes them severe skin problems. My dad was like that. He would sometimes wear gloves to read the paper, but as an avid reader earlier in his life, it was really an issue. Not easy to read like that. But computer keyboards and electronics aren't acidic like that. And I don't think it's nice that you insinuate that one of the nicest eBidders is doing something not nice. Just because you might not understand their reasoning for something, doesn't mean it is nefarious.
    Thank you for the explanation and hence the reason the question was asked.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shesawaya38485 View Post
    In 1942, Walt Disney made a movie called "Bambi". One of my favorite scenes was this conversation:

Thumper: He doesn't walk very good, does he?

Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!

Thumper: Yes, mama?

Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?

Thumper: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.
    Bambi was fiction.

Thread Information