Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebooks Ban

Default Re: Ebooks Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Bambi was fiction.
    But the sentiment is correct!

You came out with exactly the same comment to me a few years ago, when attempting to help another eBidder through a problematic "boot" in Linux. Several other eBidders were interested in the "logic"of the conversation, but you managed to kill it with that remark; we finished in PM. This was a pity as I am sure that others might have added to the conversation and helped enormously. In that case and at that time, I did not have any listings whatsoever.

I am beginning to wonder whether this is a phrase you are going to throw in whenever there is something you do not understand.

I do not know why Moonwitch has a problem; however, I am prepared to accept her word for it that she has. Why should i think any differently? I also accept that she does not have to write an essay explaining this to please me or you or anyone else for that matter. Her word is enough.

Your statement that Bambi is fiction is absolutely true. Do you actually believe that there is no truth in fiction? What a very strange world to live in...

Thanks for reminding me of that aphorism, Shesawaya. As you and I both know the saying is an old one and the Disney team were using their medium didactically. (For those who do not understand, they were teaching.​)

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post

You came out with exactly the same comment to me a few years ago, when attempting to help another eBidder through a problematic "boot" in Linux.
    I've never used Linux and never intend to. I KNOW you have the wrong member here cambrensis.
    Last edited by Gill; 19th February 2017 at 08:14 PM.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've never used Linux and never intend to. I KNOW you have the wrong member here cambrensis.
    I can assure you that cambrensis is referring to you correctly as I was the other eBidder he speaks of.

https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...for-Cambrensis

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    I can assure you that cambrensis is referring to you correctly as I was the other eBidder he speaks of.

https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthread.php?166394-for-Cambrensis

That was a fasinating discussion, wish I had been around when it was taking place.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    That was a fasinating discussion, wish I had been around when it was taking place.
    I just read through the thread referred to here.

I had Linux on my desktop back in Hampshire and if I thought I was up to installing it on a laptop I would be using it now.

Like you, I was fascinated with the way the thread panned out

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post

https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...for-Cambrensis

Yep, you're right. I contributed to the thread.

In my life I tend to move forwards rather than going backwards bringing up very old threads.
    Last edited by Gill; 20th February 2017 at 09:43 PM.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yep, it was me but I can't find any reference to Bambi.

Yep, you're right. I contributed to the thread.

In my life I tend to move forwards rather than going backwards bringing up very old threads.
    I've just gone to read the thread, for the first time unfortunately. I would love to have known about it at the time, and probably Cambriensis and I would have discussed it in depth. We've talked about Linux problems elsewhere and there's mutual respect between us.

I'm puzzling over "I contributed to the thread". Gill, that wasn't a contribution, that was an attempt to stifle discussion. Which is outrageous. If you're not interested in today's theatre, just move along quietly please. There is a big advantage in a computer problem being discussed publicly. Often no single person has the very best answer to a problem, and the checks and balances of peer review and discussion improve the outcome. I wouldn't choose an airline that doesn't have co-pilots, two heads are better than one.

As for "I've never used Linux and never intend to.", that's fine. It doesn't suit everybody and I don't waste time trying to convert anyone who lacks an open mind.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I just read through the thread referred to here.

I had Linux on my desktop back in Hampshire and if I thought I was up to installing it on a laptop I would be using it now.

Like you, I was fascinated with the way the thread panned out
    Hampshire used to have very enthusiastic meetings, attended by real experts who were also welcoming to beginners. In recent years they've gone very quiet, sadly. However there's a Portsmouth LUG that meets every 3rd Saturday and is well attended. You would certainly get help installing there.

Really, installing on a laptop is much the same as on a desktop. But some laptops do have proprietary hardware that is difficult for Linux to support (though it's getting better all the time). So the first thing to do is to boot from a DVD, not install anything on your laptop's hard drive, and check whether you can access all the devices. Of course it will be slow (a DVD is many times slower than a hard drive, which is in turn 100s of times slower than an SSD), so don't be put off by the tedium of such a trial. You may find problems with your wifi or a webcam, but often there are workarounds.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    I've just gone to read the thread, for the first time unfortunately. I would love to have known about it at the time, and probably Cambriensis and I would have discussed it in depth. We've talked about Linux problems elsewhere and there's mutual respect between us.

I'm puzzling over "I contributed to the thread". Gill, that wasn't a contribution, that was an attempt to stifle discussion. Which is outrageous. If you're not interested in today's theatre, just move along quietly please. There is a big advantage in a computer problem being discussed publicly. Often no single person has the very best answer to a problem, and the checks and balances of peer review and discussion improve the outcome. I wouldn't choose an airline that doesn't have co-pilots, two heads are better than one.

As for "I've never used Linux and never intend to.", that's fine. It doesn't suit everybody and I don't waste time trying to convert anyone who lacks an open mind.
    This thread was on the KT and should have been in the computer software forum. I was not trying to stifle discussion.

Thread Information