Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Possible Paypal or Ebid glitch with payments

Default Possible Paypal or Ebid glitch with payments

Hi all,

Just thought i'd share two conundrums that occured with me recently.

The first one is that an overseas buyer purchased an item and paid for it. It did not show on Ebid as paid but showed on Paypal as an Ebid sale. Had to manualy mark as paid for on Ebid.

The second which occured on the dreaded Friday 13th, was a customer bought 3 items and paid for the 1st on its own, the 2nd on its own, but when it came to the 3rd item the sale receipt on PayPal charged the customer for the 3rd item AND the 2nd item.
    So basically the customer has paid for the 2nd item twice.
    All sales come up as Ebid sales on Paypal.
    I've contacted the customer to let them know and to get them to contact Paypal regarding their double payment.

Don't know if it's just a glitch, either with Ebid or Paypal, or wether it's just incorrect use of system on the customers part.

Anyway, has anyone else had this happen?

Jason

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Possible Paypal or Ebid glitch with payments

On another issue I heard that Paypal are updating some of their systems and it no longer handshakes perfectly with Ebid.
    Ebid have to adapt where they can to keep up.

For example, items are coming up as Ebid sales rather than listed items because Paypal changed their system.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

My last sale was paid for instantly by the buyer using PayPal. An invoice was on Paypal, and it looked as if the buyer had created the invoice; it contained eBid information, and payment details. When I tried to get a shipping label on Paypal, I was being charged almost 3 times the correct shipping charge. I ended up having to ship from the post office. The invoice net total on PayPal would have left me with a negative net total for the sale. I did not know what to think. Did not know if buyer in control of shopping cart, or if PayPal in control of shopping cart. My PayPal fee seemed high also, guess that is nothing new. Will be watching the PayPal payment transactions carefully. Do not plan to be paying for the privilege of selling, above actual cost of shipping and fees.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    My last sale was paid for instantly by the buyer using PayPal. An invoice was on Paypal, and it looked as if the buyer had created the invoice; it contained eBid information, and payment details. When I tried to get a shipping label on Paypal, I was being charged almost 3 times the correct shipping charge. I ended up having to ship from the post office. The invoice net total on PayPal would have left me with a negative net total for the sale. I did not know what to think. Did not know if buyer in control of shopping cart, or if PayPal in control of shopping cart. My PayPal fee seemed high also, guess that is nothing new. Will be watching the PayPal payment transactions carefully. Do not plan to be paying for the privilege of selling, above actual cost of shipping and fees.
    I don't know what it's like in America, but I've been told that in the UK it's a bad idea to get shipping labels from Paypal because it means the local village post office is losing out, so we have greater risk it will close down.

Any expert PO people here who know if that's so?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    I don't know what it's like in America, but I've been told that in the UK it's a bad idea to get shipping labels from Paypal because it means the local village post office is losing out, so we have greater risk it will close down.

I think you have to buy your stamps from your village PO. I always do because it is so handy having a village PO. It also means that I can get a certificate of posting from them.
    Paypal makes enough out of me without selling me postage labels.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post

It used to cost a less when I got labels from PP, but now my local PO got competitive. That works for me. Kudos to my local PO; so if PP or any other online shipping service acts up, the local PO is available also. My PO is busy off the hook, so do not see them shutting down either way.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

My local Post Office is 4 minutes walk from the house, and Paypal costs more so it is no brainer.

I actively work to minimise what I do with Paypal because of their politics. For example, their country exclusions make them not fit to be a large player in the field.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    My local Post Office is 4 minutes walk from the house, and Paypal costs more so it is no brainer.

I actively work to minimise what I do with Paypal because of their politics. For example, their country exclusions make them not fit to be a large player in the field.
    Lucky you! My closest PO is 12 miles away, so while I don't necessarily care for PP, it is cheaper for me than gassing up the truck

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I think you have to buy your stamps from your village PO. I always do because it is so handy having a village PO. It also means that I can get a certificate of posting from them.
    Paypal makes enough out of me without selling me postage labels.
    I must be extremely lucky then as I have 2 Post Office's within 5 minutes walk from myself (both part of shops). I always use them as it means I get a Proof of Posting each time.
    And as one of them is in a larger shop, it means I can use it on a Sunday if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKidsAttic View Post
    I must be extremely lucky then as I have 2 Post Office's within 5 minutes walk from myself (both part of shops). I always use them as it means I get a Proof of Posting each time.
    And as one of them is in a larger shop, it means I can use it on a Sunday if need be.
    You are indeed extremely lucky! I thought in Scotland even the houses are more than 12 miles apart!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information