Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: A couple of questions about sending to Australia.

Default A couple of questions about sending to Australia.

Good morning all.

I sell glass, some heavy, some vey fragile so have always ticked "Not willing to send abroad".

First question. I thought this meant that my listings would not be seen outside the UK. I ask because I have today received a question asking if I will post to Australia.

I'm not averse to sending to Australia. I used to years ago when I was selling early plastics, without any problems. The bowl is small and most likely will be 500g or less when packed. So my second question is about the mechanics of doing so.

Do those with recent experience recommend sending "signed for", with tracking or is Standard International sufficent?

Are there any particular problems these days with Australia or their postal service that I need to know about?

Any advice would be very helpfull. Thankyou.

I should also add that the prospective buyer only joined ebid just before sending the question so has no FB.
    Last edited by theElench; 28th August 2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Afterthought.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: A couple of questions about sending to Australia.

G'day!
    First - I don't believe there are any particular problems with shipping into Oz, no better or worse than most places I guess.
    For high value items it is always wise to ship with some form of tracking/registered/signed for method IMO.
    However you may prefer to take the risk on low value items, as most times, the shipping cost outweighs the items value & may put buyers off.
    I see your listings as "not available" to Australia & only shipped to the UK in the drop down list.
    My guess is the interested Oz member is checking on your willingness or otherwise to ship down under. Should you choose to do so, they will need a shipping estimate.
    Zero feedback doesn't bother me as everyone has to start somewhere. Most of my sales go to newbies who join just for a particular item, some become regulars, others are never heard from again.
    Naturally, glass items would need to be packed in a "bullet proof" manner, which I'm sure you are experienced with.
    Hope this has helped & all the best.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have made sales to Australia and had very pleasant transactions. Just a bit surprised that they would assume the cost of shipping. Handled shipment at my local post office without difficulty.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Shipping to Australia is just like shipping within the UK but much more expensive. I've never had a problem with selling down under and only do tracked & signed for expensive stuff.

It amazes me how often people are prepared to pay such huge sums for postage.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I've sold several items to buyers in Australia. Never had any problems. Most of our items are low-priced, so tracking and insurance were not an issue.

As for the feedback, almost all our buyers for the past several months have had zero feedback. The items are paid for before I ship, so I figure if they're willing to trust me enough to pay up front, I should trust them enough to ship the item.

Thread Information