eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Car?

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Automatic Car?

My old banger is on its last legs and won't go through the MOT in September.
    I'm not a confident driver, and getting worse the older I get. Was wondering if driving an automatic would help me to feel less nervous. Has anyone switched from Manual to Auto?
    Would it be more difficult to get used to at my age (mid sixties)?
    I would have to be second-hand - any drawbacks and pluses with autos?
    Would be interested in any views on this subject.
    Many thanks.

View maplegin's Feedback (+1177)
    All-About maplegin
    View maplegin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Automatic Car?

I changed over 13 years ago on the advice of driving instructer, as was a nervous driver, Now we wouldn't like to go back to anything different, must admitt I don't do hardly any driving now, Somer is happy with driving that & 3 years ago we persueded Nigels Dad at 83 to get an auto & he is still driving & is very pleased now he has got used to not changing gear.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pastime View Post
    any drawbacks and pluses with autos?
    All pluses for me. Bought for my 60th (now looming 71) - I bought a Smart Car which is dual ie both manual and auto - take your pick! I press a button on the gear stick to go auto every time & wouldn't dream of using manual.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I switched several cars ago and I have made converts of many who said they would never have one. Can't say how much it would benefit you for your nervousness but it does make driving far less of a hassle - particularly around town and in heavy traffic. They do make driving more relaxed and so you arrive far less tired and stressed after a journey.

Fully automatic boxes are not subject to the abuse manual boxes get, so are more reliable and less of a worry when buying second hand. Hybrid boxes I have no experience of but would view them like manuals if buying second hand.

Automatics have evolved to get rid of some of the issues of yore. Starting off in snow and ice used to be a nightmare, but most modern boxes now have a selection that locks it in a higher gear to make that easier. Some come with 'Sports' settings that alter the ratio change points if you want a more sporty ride. You can, of course, still select ratios manually - but I could count the number of times I have felt the need to do that over the years on one hand.

Probably the hardest part of changing to an automatic is forgetting your left foot.

The odd times I have had to drive with a manual box again has never been an issue, the mental switchover is immediate.

If you know someone with an auto ask them for a go, or ask a trader for a test drive. As a last resort find a driving instructor with an automatic and purchase a single lesson or hire one for the weekend (I don't know which would be the cheaper nowadays).
    Last edited by astral276; 28th August 2016 at 12:11 PM.

The hardest part of switching to an automatic for me was "what the heck was my left foot going to do without the clutch?" I use it now to work the brake I think you'll love it but like Astral said, maybe you can find someone who has one that you can try out. Good Luck!!

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shesawaya38485 View Post
    The hardest part of switching to an automatic for me was "what the heck was my left foot going to do without the clutch?" I use it now to work the brake I think you'll love it but like Astral said, maybe you can find someone who has one that you can try out. Good Luck!!
    That wouldn't be a problem for my Billy as he doesn't have a left foot.....or left leg !

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shesawaya38485 View Post
    ...what the heck was my left foot going to do without the clutch?" i use it now to work the brake
    No, No, No, No, No!

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

One point to add to my first post. With an automatic you will use the brakes more as you don't get the engine braking you do in a manual by shifting down. Some people find that takes a bit of getting used to.

Thread Information