My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: First Class Package Shipping Error

Default First Class Package Shipping Error

USPS has increased First Class weight limits to 15.99 oz. When posting or reposting an item that weighs over 13 oz (the old limit) I get an error message that won't allow me to post the item at a higher weight within the First Class limits. Please fix Thanks!!

Default Re: First Class Package Shipping Error

To qualify for the higher package weight rate, we have to use an online postage service provider such as Stamps.com. I can't think of any way for eBid to know if the seller is going to use one of these services.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    To qualify for the higher package weight rate, we have to use an online postage service provider such as Stamps.com. I can't think of any way for eBid to know if the seller is going to use one of these services.
    Don't US sellers have the choice to enter postage manually rather than use calculated postage?

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Don't US sellers have the choice to enter postage manually rather than use calculated postage?
    Yes, we can enter a flat rate for any shipping method instead of having eBid calculate it. And First Class Mail is the same price anywhere in the U.S. I should have thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "qualify" as the new rates are available up to 15.99 oz. at the post office if you don't have a commercial postage service.

I had to drop off a package at the Post Office today, so I took time to inquire about this. I asked the clerk what shipping options I had if I brought in a package that weighed 15 ounces. She said she would only be able to sell me Standard Parcel or Priority Mail. I told her about the new rates and she had her supervisor come over. The supervisor said that the Post Office (both at the counters and at the USPS website) will not sell us First Class rates for such a package. She said the rates I was asking about are only available to commercial shippers (who ship in bulk) through a third-party site, such as Stamps.com. She didn't know if PayPal offered it.

So, if you have such a package, I suggest you try to buy the shipping label from PayPal. If they show First Class Mail in their drop down list, then it's an option. But, once again, eBid has no way of knowing that. So, use a fixed postage cost for anything you are selling that weighs more than 13.5 ounces and less than 16 ounces.

The supervisor also mentioned that if someone at the other end notices a first-class package weighs more than 13.5 ounces, they may disallow the First Class rate and charge the buyer for Postage Due.

Oh, my aching head!!! The shipping calculator I use IS on Pay Pal and I realized that they are using "that other site's" calculator which shows First Class IS available at the post office. I called my local PO and they said they charge Priority or Standard prices for anything over 13 oz, which was the same amount as the calculator called "First Class". But, I should know from experience how deceptive they can be.

Paid at Store Rates USPS First Class PackageŽ $6.45
    Estimated delivery 2-6 days

Thank you for your patience - I'm off to take something for my headache.......

Thread Information