eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Job

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Job

Job's fifth speech found in chapters 16-17 continues the pattern of Job's lament/complaint, followed by accusations directed at God (see Job 16:7-14) He interjects that he....."sewed sackcloth over his skin......."; "my face is red with weeping...." ....."yet my hands have been free of violence and my prayer is pure." (Job 16:15-17)

Job continues his lament in chapter 17, and into his sixth speech in chapter 19. Following each of Job's speeches comes a response (dispute/argument) from one of his three friends. Job complains of the futility of their disputes (see Job 16:1-5), and their lack of compassion. See post #18 for the dispute pattern that occurred between Job and his three friends.

Although, in his state of grief, Job spoke awful complaints against God, he never turned his back on God. He never walked away from God, but continued to face God in the bitterness of his suffering. Job voiced break through expressions of staunch faith in God. He expresses great confidence that ultimately God will vindicate him against all false accusations.

"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes -- I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me." (Job 19:25-27 NIV)

Job appears here to be speaking of God as his Redeemer; and about his anticipation of a personal resurrection.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job is certainly not alone in his pursuit of seeking vindication from God. (See Job 13:3, 15, 18) In Psalms 82:1, the Psalmist speaks of the "great assembly", that is the great Hall of Justice in heaven. He envisions rulers, kings, judges gathering before God to give an account of their duties to administer justice. See Isaiah 6:1-4, for his vision of God in his heavenly temple.

In Job 1:6 and 2:1, a gathering before God is seen of his angels, with Satan coming in among them. Job had no knowledge of this assembly before God in heaven. Job continues his lament in his seventh speech. (Job 21) Job voices his complaint in his eighth speech (Job 23-24) that he is not able to find God, to present his case, no matter where he looks. (See Job 23:1-9)

Job attest to the fact that although he can not find God, that his location is always known to God. (Job 23:10) David speaks of never being able to avoid God's presence. (Psalm 139:7-10) The LORD is identified as the only source for a justified appeal in Psalms 94:16-19. The Psalms of Lament and Prayers of Lament often express the language or sentiments expressed by Job. The chief difference is that the laments within Psalms, follow a pattern of going from lament to praise. The speeches of Job have been described by some as an extreme lament.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

In times of need for comfort from distress or sadness, the Book of Psalms is a favorite source of refuge for many. A marvelous example of the pattern of lament followed by praise, can be seen in the cluster of Psalms 90--97.

Psalm 90 is a Community Psalm of Lament; a prayer of Moses, the man of God. This Psalm is followed by Psalms 91--93; Songs of Trust/Confidence in God; a Psalm of Thanksgiving; and a Royal Psalm of high praises to God.

Psalm 94 is a Community Lament Prayer, it is a prayer request to God, as divine Judge of the earth. This Psalm is followed by Psalms 95--97, three inspiring Royal Psalms, that magnify the LORD. These eight Psalms are a wonderful devotional read or study.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job continues to lament in his ninth speech (Job 26-27) Bildad had responded to Job's eighth speech with a blunt question...."How then can a man be righteous before God?" He described man as "a maggot"...."a worm". (Job 25:4, 5-6) Job answered Bildad only with biting sarcasm (See Job 26:1-4)

Job complained that he was being denied justice by God. (Job 27:1-2) He addressed his three friends, insisting he would never admit they were right. Job also stated, "I will not deny my integrity. I will maintain my righteousness....." (Job 27:5-6) The dialogue- dispute between Job and his three friends has basically reached a stalemate. Bildad's last response to Job was in chapter 25; Job's other two friends had already stopped responding to him.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, I'll be............here I am back in the Book of Job.

Been a bit behind starting my devotional study of Job for 2016. A little reluctant for some reason, then I remembered this study. The 2015 study of Job was the first time I had ever approached Job and Psalms together, or considered genres of both books.

Biblical Genres are literary approaches to understanding books of the Bible. Some of the main genres of the Book of Job are lament, wisdom, law, and controversy dialogue. (Gregory W. Parsons)

The controversy dialogue, the dispute that occurred between Job and his "three friends" (Job 4 - 25), is the point where the 2015 study covered. So, here we go again.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Completed personal devotional study of Job 1--25; reviewed 2015 study notes, and posts on this thread.

Job 1-2 Introduction, heavenly scene that revealed encounter between God and Satan, and insights into Job's testing/suffering.

Job 3-25, 26-27 Dialogue - Dispute Section (Begins and ends with 9 of 10 of Job's speeches)

Job 4-25 Controversy Dialogue that occurred between Job and his "three friends". The dialogue ended in chapter 25; Job's friends would no longer answer him "because he was righteous in his own eyes." (Job 32:1)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job 26-27 contains Job's continued discourse (extended argument, expression of thoughts). He ascribes to God the vastness of his power. Job reflects on his own powerlessness to understand God, but goes on to file "his lawsuit" against God (see Job 26:14---27:1--6).

Job accused God of denying him justice (Job 27:2); he insisted on his integrity and righteousness (Job 27:3--6). God had also described Job as "blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." (Job 1:8, 2:3)

One important lesson that can be gleaned from Job's discourse here, is the wisdom of "letting another praise you, and not your own mouth ..." (Proverbs 27:2) He will realize this further along in his epic experience.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job 26--27 represents Job's 9th speech but as noted in post #26, his three friends had stopped speaking. The attempt by his friends to address Job's suffering with human wisdom was a failure. Job's attempts to address his suffering, and to contend with God, was also a failure.

God has not intervened in their dialogue dispute; nor has he answered Job's accusations and demands for vindication. The author of the Book of Job, who is unknown, inserted an awesome wisdom poem at this point (see Job 28). A delightful description of ancient mining of precious metals is expounded on by the author.

Gold and silver miners today use some of these dangerous mining techniques to unearth these treasures. (Job 28:1--11) But the author asks....."where can wisdom be found?" (Job 28:12, 20) The author concludes that wisdom is found through and in God (Job 28:23--28).

Wisdom can not be purchased. Wisdom is more precious than gold. (Job 28:13-19; Proverbs 3:13-16, 8:10-11)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job finalizes his last defense in his tenth speech, that is contained in chapters 29:1-------31:40. In Job 29 he recalls the happiness he enjoyed in the past. Job spoke of his wealth, honor, and stature in his community. He detailed his intimate friendship with God, and the many blessings God had poured out on his life.

In chapter 30 Job expresses his grief over the loss of everything. His honor, his perceived abandonment by God, the loss of his health, loss of his family, and the perception of being attacked by God. (See Job 30:11, 19--23) Remember, Job has no knowledge of God's conversations with Satan concerning him. (See Job 1:6--12; 2:1--8)

Even if he did have knowledge of the conversations, he more than likely would not have understood God's purpose in allowing Satan to attack him. I do not understand, even with the details provided in the Book of Job. When God did answer Job, he never gave a reason or shared his purpose. God is sovereign; he had absolute control over what Satan was allowed to do; and his thoughts and ways are different than those of mankind.

In chapter 31 Job submits his final case against God while proclaiming his innocence. (See Job 31:35--37) Job rested his case and his words in verse 40. Job 32:1 states......."So these three men stopped answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes." They had actually stopped anwering Job after chapter 25. The dialogue dispute and Job's continued monolog has ended.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job 32:2 introduces yet "another voice", another counselor, a young man named Elihu. He is not identified as a friend of Job's, but is a silent spectator of the dialogue dispute that occurred between Job and his three friends. Elihu's name means......"He is my God". This young man is said to be......" the son of Barakel, a Buzite, of the family of Ram." (Job 32:2)

He expressed anger with Job for justifying himself rather than God. Elihu also expressed anger with Job's three friends as they had not answered Job's arguments, and yet had condemned him. (Job 32:2--3)

Elihu is somewhat of a mystery within the Book of Job. He identifies himself as "young in years" (32:6); "having understanding from God" (32:7-8); as being "full of words, and having "the spirit of God within him" (32:17--20); and that God is "his Maker" (32:22; 33:4).

So here is a young man, who claims to have a special relationship with God. He addresses Job by name, requesting him to listen to his words, that come from an upright and sincere heart (Job 33:1--7). He also explains to Job that his intentions are pure, and that he desires to clear job (Job 33:31--33)

Elihu's desire to clear Job does not stop him from expressing his anger (32:2--3); or confronting Job about the words he spoke (33:8--14) He used the method of quoting Job's own words, then explaining to him where or how he was wrong.

Thread Information