My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Papua New Guinea FDCs posted away from Port Moresby

Default Papua New Guinea FDCs posted away from Port Moresby

I am getting to like using this forum! I have a few PNG FDCs that are postmarked at places in PNG other than the capital Port Moresby ie places such as Kokopo and Kainantu. Unlike the bespoke "first day of issue" postmarks used in Port Moresby, the Kokopo and Kainantu postmarks are just normal postmarks for the relevant date. See attached images.

I imagine that the number of FDCs stamped in these places is quite low. Although the stamps concerned are not worth much, I would be interested to hear views as to whether or not these FDCs are worth more than the standard "Port Moresby" FDCs.

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Papua New Guinea FDCs posted away from Port Moresby

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondwatkins View Post
    I am getting to like using this forum! I have a few PNG FDCs that are postmarked at places in PNG other than the capital Port Moresby ie places such as Kokopo and Kainantu. Unlike the bespoke "first day of issue" postmarks used in Port Moresby, the Kokopo and Kainantu postmarks are just normal postmarks for the relevant date. See attached images.

I imagine that the number of FDCs stamped in these places is quite low. Although the stamps concerned are not worth much, I would be interested to hear views as to whether or not these FDCs are worth more than the standard "Port Moresby" FDCs.

Ray

I would think they would be worth more, certainly more unusual.

This is how my mind works when I see an item like that.

The potential keywords are worth more than the item.

On the other side Kainantu brings up just 2 items - Kokopo brings up 3. So once listed on eBid (and once the google bot finds the listing) a combination keyword search in Google organic (google.co.uk) is going to show up extremely well, on multiple keyword search combinations you are likely to hit the 1st page. So for me the keywords would be extremely valuable, to both eBid and your shop - it is the type of listing I would be hoping wouldn't sell quickly because I would want the listing to do some valuable work and bring in a number of buyers.
    Last edited by deanosaur1972; 10th July 2014 at 05:50 PM.

Hi Deano

Once again, an interesting reply. Thank you.

best regards

Ray

PS I have a similar photo of me with a tiger, taken in a zoo in Thailand. Everyone thought I was daft posing like that, so I am glad there is someone else just as daft as me.

Try these:

http://stampcircuit.com/Stamp-Auctio...uguinea?page=2

http://www.postpng.com.pg/philatelic...ng_history.htm

To get an idea of prices you will have to have a log in for the first.

The second should know everything - might be worth an email...

Ian

Ian

Thanks for these two links.

The second link is to the PNG equivalent of Royal Mail. Collectors can acquire new issues of PNG stamps, including FDCs, from Post PNG and also acquire recent issues, if still in stock, at face value. The bureau is unlikely to be able to advise on market values, but it may be that they have statistics regarding the number of FDCs etc issued by the post offices away from Port Moresby. I used to have an account with the bureau for new issues, but have recently cancelled my standing order - however I still have exchanges of communication with them from time-to-time and I think I might just see if they have any relevant statistics re my FDCs from Kokopa and Kanaintu. Earlier today I did find some FDCs issued by other post offices in PNG, listed on the other big auction site, but the selling prices did not appear much greater than for the Port Moresby FDCs.

The other site you found seems very interesting and needs to be looked into in much more detail, not just re PNG FDCs. Something (else) to do at the week-end.

Thanks again for the time you have taken to respond to the threads I started, and perhaps there may be more to come in the future.

take care

Ray

Thread Information