Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jubaland

Default Re: Jubaland

I´ve read about the rediculous Paypal policy and wondered if it was, in fact legal in Europe.
    That said, I have removed all my Cuban, Iran, Sudan and North Korean stamps from all sites just in case. Although how we are supposed to keep up with which country America doesn't like at the moment I'm not sure!
    Good luck with the Jubaland sales.

This was copied from the PayPal regulations.

• We don't allow the sale of embargoed items from the following countries, and we don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals to have or register accounts while based in these countries:
      • Burma (Myanmar)–Only jadeite and rubies are prohibited
      • Cuba
      • Iran
      • North Korea
      • Sudan
      • Syria

• We don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals on the Specially Designated Nationals list (SDN) to have or register accounts.
    • We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country

I have just a few coins from Cuba and Sudan listed at present, so they are listed without PayPal as a payment option, which of course reduces the chance even further that someone will find them and buy. That's the way it goes.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    This was copied from the PayPal regulations.

• We don't allow the sale of embargoed items from the following countries, and we don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals to have or register accounts while based in these countries:
      • Burma (Myanmar)–Only jadeite and rubies are prohibited
      • Cuba
      • Iran
      • North Korea
      • Sudan
      • Syria

• We don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals on the Specially Designated Nationals list (SDN) to have or register accounts.
    • We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country
    There does not appear to be a similar section in Paypal UK to your last bullet.

In the legal agreement it lists countries where Paypal can be used, and the US embargoed countries are not included. So you cannot sell to Iran and so on.
    However there is nothing to say that you cannot sell Cuban goods from Europe to the rest of the world, except the embargoed countries, and presumably US and Canada as well.
    This explains why there are 32000 Cuban items on Ebay UK.

I am deleting US and Canada from my list of countries to which I sell Cuban, North Korean, Iranian, Syrian and Sudanese stamps.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About billsstamps
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Bill, I'm not understanding then. I thought that these were general PayPal regulations because PayPal is US based.
    The regulations do not appear to be general.

1. There is no such clause as We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country in the UK regulations
    2. When I contacted Paypal UK they said they didn't know anything about not being able to sell Cuban and Iranian goods.
    3. Legal opinion seems to be that European law would not allow restrictive and clumsy practices such as We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm not sure why there are even embargoes in the first place. I'm guessing it's a political thing and since I know less about politics than most, I should probably bow out.

The discussion about Jubaland was interesting; I'd heard of italian Somaliland but never heard of Jubaland. I really do learn something new every day. Considering the short life of the country, that stamp must be worth a fair bit, too.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Hi Bill,

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...ghlight=paypal

After this was posted I went to the bay help and found the reference. I see that it comes up in the Help section for .com and .ca but nothing came up for .uk, but eBid sellers in the UK have had a recent problem.

Forum Newbie
    View wgbps9's Feedback (+9382)
    All-About wgbps9
    View wgbps9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just had my pay/pal account suspended for 6 month's,(with £110 in it),for selling a Sudanese stamp,(after the seller told pay/pal what he was buying) A month later I get an e-mail saying my account has been limited. Now I can't sell on E-B**Y with no PAY/PAL account,(getting too expensive anyway).Had to change my payment on E-BID to PPPAY.com,cheques & P.O.'s only. Hope it's not too long for PPPAY.com can compete with pay/pal.

All-About billsstamps
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wgbps9 View Post
    Just had my pay/pal account suspended for 6 month's,(with £110 in it),for selling a Sudanese stamp,(after the seller told pay/pal what he was buying) A month later I get an e-mail saying my account has been limited. Now I can't sell on E-B**Y with no PAY/PAL account,(getting too expensive anyway).Had to change my payment on E-BID to PPPAY.com,cheques & P.O.'s only. Hope it's not too long for PPPAY.com can compete with pay/pal.
    Where was your buyer located?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

Forum Newbie
    View wgbps9's Feedback (+9382)
    All-About wgbps9
    View wgbps9's Listings
    Forum Posts

hi bill