eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

[QUOTE=burgyeb;1576632]I think this is very interesting that your mother who was religious and attended church each Sunday, did not force you as her child to also go. You in turn are allowing your children to decide for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeleilani View Post
    So your mother has shown that not all religious parents force their children to go to church.[/QUOTe

[Quote by Purplestevie] But what about the ones who do? is this child abuse? should atheism also have an equal footing in schools? Should citizenship lessons replace religious education? [UNQUOTE]

For the parents who take their children to church with them, this is admirable. They are training their child in the way they would want to see them go. This is not child abuse. Citizenship lessons in school would be a good thing. Do not necessarily see why it should replace learning of various religions or cultures. Learning about other religions in school, is no substitute for the religious values children learn in their homes.
    You dont need god to bring a child up with good values etc my child is proof of that in fact i know so many religious people who quite frankly are very very intolerant of others beliefs culture etc and this im afraid is a worldwide epidemic.
    Think for yourself you dont need to keep refering to the bible, god, a gardening book or a cookery book for every answer they are just guides for life and that is all.

If you believe in god, the jedi knight or even the little green fairy at the bottom of the garden fine no problem but if you are a non believer in this world you get sidelined in so many areas in everday life. school is a good example i and quite a few others were forced to go to church to get the child in the towns church of england school or face an hours drive to another town ridiculous. in fact the nearest school literally 2 mins away was catholic so i wouldnt have been allowed to take my child there! Yes its their choice but is it fair are they not teaching intolerence of non catholics?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful" - Seneca
    Last edited by purplestevie; 7th December 2013 at 08:46 AM.

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ropegg View Post
    I hope so.

I am a Christian.

I had went to bed one night and turned my TV on. There was a couple singing and though I don't remember what song they sang I enjoyed listening so much I didn't change the channel, then the man that was singing started preaching about the unpardonable sin. Usually I would have changed the channel as though I had respect for God, I didn't love Him and I was not interested in Him. I hadn't been in church for 33 years and I didn't even have or want a Bible in my home for most of those years.

After the preacher finished, God went to work on me and I began to listen. He wanted me to repent and accept Him as my Savior. I said I wanted to wait and I would go to church Sunday and then I would -- after all I wasn't interested in God but I didn't want to go to hell. God let me know that I would never have another chance. I really didn't love God but I did believe in Him and I really did believe in hell and an eternal after life and I didn't want to go to hell. I repented of my sins that night asking God to forgive me and when I got through I not only respected and believed in God but I really loved Him. Something was really different and it was something that I think has to be felt because I still can't explain it. I still don't know what God meant by me never having another chance --- I have wondered if He meant He would never give me the invitation again or something would happen that would end my life taking away the opportunity.

That was a little over 15 year ago and I still love God more than I have ever loved anyone or anything. I have an unexplainable peace within that I never had before --- even when there are heartaches and trials.
    I can't explain or expect anyone to understand how I feel unless they have experienced it too.

I too think everyone should be free to choose ---- I am so glad that I was free to and I hope others experience the peace I have.
    The power of God, working through the Holy Spirit is a truly amazing thing.

Our children attend church every Saturday, but they will have the choice not to do so when they are older, I hope they choose not to do so. In many ways it is brainwashing, but they get the other side of the story as well so I think they will eventually question what they are told at church and reach their own conclusion.

One thing I find strange is that one of the main people at the church, who has actually had several discussions with me as to why I do not believe is a teacher. While a devoutly religious person being a teacher is not a problem his subject is science. I find it hard to comprehend a teacher who believes that the Earth is less than 6,000 years old, that evolution is incorrect, dinosaurs did not exist and all the rest can teach science.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    Our children attend church every Saturday, but they will have the choice not to do so when they are older, I hope they choose not to do so. In many ways it is brainwashing, but they get the other side of the story as well so I think they will eventually question what they are told at church and reach their own conclusion.

One thing I find strange is that one of the main people at the church, who has actually had several discussions with me as to why I do not believe is a teacher. While a devoutly religious person being a teacher is not a problem his subject is science. I find it hard to comprehend a teacher who believes that the Earth is less than 6,000 years old, that evolution is incorrect, dinosaurs did not exist and all the rest can teach science.
    That is odd. It wouldn't be so strange if he taught a different subject, but science? Then again, bf taught at a small school and covered many subjects, so maybe it's the same there?

IMHO tolerance and compassion are the most important things, whether an individual holds mainstream religious beliefs or not.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

I find it hard to comprehend a teacher who believes that the Earth is less than 6,000 years old, that evolution is incorrect, dinosaurs did not exist and all the rest can teach science.
    Extraordinary.

One hopes his lessons are not delivered with a subliminal sub-text.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post

You dont need god to bring a child up with good values etc my child is proof of that in fact i know so many religious people who quite frankly are very very intolerant of others beliefs culture etc and this im afraid is a worldwide epidemic.
    Think for yourself you dont need to keep refering to the bible, god, a gardening book or a cookery book for every answer they are just guides for life and that is all.

If you believe in god, the jedi knight or even the little green fairy at the bottom of the garden fine no problem but if you are a non believer in this world you get sidelined in so many areas in everday life. school is a good example i and quite a few others were forced to go to church to get the child in the towns church of england school or face an hours drive to another town ridiculous. in fact the nearest school literally 2 mins away was catholic so i wouldnt have been allowed to take my child there! Yes its their choice but is it fair are they not teaching intolerence of non catholics?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful" - Seneca
    I agree that you do not need to believe in God/god or be religious to bring up children with good values. An individual makes choices to live their life influenced by "good/bad/variable values". These values can be influenced by culture, upbringing, etc.

Your comment on "non-believers being side-lined in so many areas in everyday life" is an interesting perception. I had never thought of it quite that way. Main stream society does flow around a myriad of belief systems. As was discussed earlier, a person is a spiritual being, and as such will gravitate towards religion or some type of belief set to satisfy their spiritual nature.

Other things people can gravitate towards to fulfill that need are creativity, success, accumulation of wealth. Some would consider those and more as a type of god in the person's life. To believe in a higher power or not to believe is totally up to each individual. With each choice a person makes, there will always be certain effects, benefits, or draw backs.

A distinction does exist between "having good values"; "being religious"; "having a unique belief set"; and "having a personal relationship with God". The differences are tremendous.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

You might find Albert Einstein's comments on science and religion even stranger. See first two links below; both reference Einstein's take on science and religion, and he was an agnostic. Two other links included on topic of science and God/god one on scientific support of God's existence, and one from a theologian claiming provision of proof not necessary.

http://www.godandscience.org/

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/einstein.html

http://www.newchristian.org.uk/faqgodexists.html

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/...sts-god-exists

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=purplestevie;1576635]
    Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    I think this is very interesting that your mother who was religious and attended church each Sunday, did not force you as her child to also go. You in turn are allowing your children to decide for themselves.[INDENT]

Is religion taught in the schools you mention? If so why would you want your child there?

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    You might find Albert Einstein's comments on science and religion even stranger. See first two links below; both reference Einstein's take on science and religion, and he was an agnostic. Two other links included on topic of science and God/god one on scientific support of God's existence, and one from a theologian claiming provision of proof not necessary.

http://www.godandscience.org/

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/einstein.html

http://www.newchristian.org.uk/faqgodexists.html

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/...sts-god-exists
    Einstein did not believe in God. he had a problem with the fact that everything started in one place and considered that this could have pointed to a creator. But he added a constant, wrongly to make up for that. He would not have done that if he had any nagging doubts that there may have been a creator.

As for scientific support for God, I have not seen anything that is peer reviewed. Belief in Jesus is another matter. I believe that a person called Jesus existed, but he was simply a man and not the son of a god. If we are to believe in Jesus as the son of god then why not Mohammed, Haile Selassie or David Icke.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Einstein did not believe in God. he had a problem with the fact that everything started in one place and considered that this could have pointed to a creator. But he added a constant, wrongly to make up for that. He would not have done that if he had any nagging doubts that there may have been a creator.

As for scientific support for God, I have not seen anything that is peer reviewed. Belief in Jesus is another matter. I believe that a person called Jesus existed, but he was simply a man and not the son of a god. If we are to believe in Jesus as the son of god then why not Mohammed, Haile Selassie or David Icke.
    The constant was added to the equation of his theory, because he was troubled that it "could have pointed to a creator."

Einstein had stated, "I do not believe in a personal god." This statement would make it seem that he was an atheist. His Theory of Relativity did trouble him as it had "a beginning" or as you say "started in one place" and thus could point to a creator. He wanted to get rid of "the beginning" and "the creator" because it messed up his belief set that "there is no personal god." Einstein himself admitted that it was the worse mistake of his life. Edwin Hubble came to the same conclusion that an expanding universe had "a beginning". Hubble was also a brilliant scientist.

This impacted Einstein so much, that he later became a deist, believing in an impersonal god. Einstein stated, "I believe in Spinoza's god". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinozism He also complained about being called an atheist.

Thread Information