eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

Quote Originally Posted by ropegg View Post
    I hope so.

I am a Christian.

I had went to bed one night and turned my TV on. There was a couple singing and though I don't remember what song they sang I enjoyed listening so much I didn't change the channel, then the man that was singing started preaching about the unpardonable sin. Usually I would have changed the channel as though I had respect for God, I didn't love Him and I was not interested in Him. I hadn't been in church for 33 years and I didn't even have or want a Bible in my home for most of those years.

After the preacher finished, God went to work on me and I began to listen. He wanted me to repent and accept Him as my Savior. I said I wanted to wait and I would go to church Sunday and then I would -- after all I wasn't interested in God but I didn't want to go to hell. God let me know that I would never have another chance. I really didn't love God but I did believe in Him and I really did believe in hell and an eternal after life and I didn't want to go to hell. I repented of my sins that night asking God to forgive me and when I got through I not only respected and believed in God but I really loved Him. Something was really different and it was something that I think has to be felt because I still can't explain it. I still don't know what God meant by me never having another chance --- I have wondered if He meant He would never give me the invitation again or something would happen that would end my life taking away the opportunity.

That was a little over 15 year ago and I still love God more than I have ever loved anyone or anything. I have an unexplainable peace within that I never had before --- even when there are heartaches and trials.
    I can't explain or expect anyone to understand how I feel unless they have experienced it too.

I too think everyone should be free to choose ---- I am so glad that I was free to and I hope others experience the peace I have.
    Are young children free to choose? If they come from a religious family the answer is NO

View lakeleilani's Feedback (+434)
    All-About lakeleilani
    View lakeleilani's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Are young children free to choose? If they come from a religious family the answer is NO
    Everyone brings their children up the way they see fit. If you are an atheist you would, no doubt, bring your children up as atheists - unless, as in Kreative's case, one parent is religious. I expect they get both points of view. If you have a particularly strong political viewpoint, you would hope your children would take on your political views, which you believe to be right. It's all relative.
    http://lake-leilani.ebid.net Fair Trade Clothes and accessories with a boho twist. For men, women and children.
    http://lake-leilani-occasions.ebid.net Handcrafted Cards and Fair Trade Gift Wrap.
    http://lake-leilani-gifts.ebid.net Fair Trade and Handcrafted gifts, incense and homeware.

All-About purplestevie
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeleilani View Post
    Everyone brings their children up the way they see fit. If you are an atheist you would, no doubt, bring your children up as atheists - unless, as in Kreative's case, one parent is religious. I expect they get both points of view. If you have a particularly strong political viewpoint, you would hope your children would take on your political views, which you believe to be right. It's all relative.
    Yes i am an atheist but i let my child choose whether to be religious or not, my mother went to church every Sunday when i was a child but she never forced me to go.
    Last edited by purplestevie; 6th December 2013 at 07:36 PM.

All-About lakeleilani
    Forum Posts

So your mother has shown that not all religious parents force their children to go to church.
    http://lake-leilani.ebid.net Fair Trade Clothes and accessories with a boho twist. For men, women and children.
    http://lake-leilani-occasions.ebid.net Handcrafted Cards and Fair Trade Gift Wrap.
    http://lake-leilani-gifts.ebid.net Fair Trade and Handcrafted gifts, incense and homeware.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeleilani View Post
    LOL. I've often wondered why he bothered!
    LOL! IMHO God should have started with women and stopped there. Which reminds me of an old saw: When God made man, She was only kidding...

Best wishes for many sales to all,

All-About purplestevie
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=lakeleilani;1576552]So your mother has shown that not all religious parents force their children to go to church.[/QUOTe

But what about the ones who do? is this child abuse? should atheism also have an equal footing in schools?
    Should citizenship lessons replace religious education?

All-About lakeleilani
    Forum Posts

It's not child abuse, any more than any other way a parent chooses to bring up their children. Everyone does what they think is best. My children have already been taught in school about different belief systems, and that has included religions as well as atheism. I think citizenship lessons would be excellent, but they also need to know about the diversity of different religions and belief systems, especially as we live in such a multicultural society. Anything that teaches tolerance towards others has to be a good thing, as would citizenship and how to behave acceptably in society.
    Last edited by lakeleilani; 6th December 2013 at 11:53 PM.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

I hope so.

I am a Christian.

I had went to bed one night and turned my TV on. There was a couple singing and though I don't remember what song they sang I enjoyed listening so much I didn't change the channel, then the man that was singing started preaching about the unpardonable sin. Usually I would have changed the channel as though I had respect for God, I didn't love Him and I was not interested in Him. I hadn't been in church for 33 years and I didn't even have or want a Bible in my home for most of those years.

After the preacher finished, God went to work on me and I began to listen. He wanted me to repent and accept Him as my Savior. I said I wanted to wait and I would go to church Sunday and then I would -- after all I wasn't interested in God but I didn't want to go to hell. God let me know that I would never have another chance. I really didn't love God but I did believe in Him and I really did believe in hell and an eternal after life and I didn't want to go to hell. I repented of my sins that night asking God to forgive me and when I got through I not only respected and believed in God but I really loved Him. Something was really different and it was something that I think has to be felt because I still can't explain it. I still don't know what God meant by me never having another chance --- I have wondered if He meant He would never give me the invitation again or something would happen that would end my life taking away the opportunity.

That was a little over 15 year ago and I still love God more than I have ever loved anyone or anything. I have an unexplainable peace within that I never had before --- even when there are heartaches and trials.
    I can't explain or expect anyone to understand how I feel unless they have experienced it too.

I too think everyone should be free to choose ---- I am so glad that I was free to and I hope others experience the peace I have.
    What a beautiful testimony! I fully understand what you are saying and am so glad you said it so well.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Yes i am an atheist but i let my child choose whether to be religious or not, my mother went to church every Sunday when i was a child but she never forced me to go.
    I think this is very interesting that your mother who was religious and attended church each Sunday, did not force you as her child to also go. You in turn are allowing your children to decide for themselves.

[QUOTE=lakeleilani;1576552]So your mother has shown that not all religious parents force their children to go to church.[/QUOTe

[Quote by Purplestevie] But what about the ones who do? is this child abuse? should atheism also have an equal footing in schools? Should citizenship lessons replace religious education? [UNQUOTE]

For the parents who take their children to church with them, this is admirable. They are training their child in the way they would want to see them go. This is not child abuse. Citizenship lessons in school would be a good thing. Do not necessarily see why it should replace learning of various religions or cultures. Learning about other religions in school, is no substitute for the religious values children learn in their homes.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I hope so.

I am a Christian.

I hope so also, as the comments by many have been interesting and enlightening.

It is so interesting that it really is God who does the work, in bringing a person to Himself. He uses many ways to reach an unbeliever; a song, a preached word, an act of kindness by someone, a display of His power, love, mercy, or grace. He knows each person; he knows what will reach a person.

God may or may not reveal to you what He meant by "you would never have another chance." Sometimes a decision may have a precise, pin pointed time. The set of circumstances impacting the decision may never align like that again. The desire to respond may not appear again. Or the opportunity to respond could be lost. The important thing is that you responded to the revealed word and will of God.

God specifically used your fear of going to hell, to bring you to Himself. I did not or would not ever want to go to hell, but a fear of hell did not draw me to God. I was in awe of His power to heal, and also by His grace. He met me where I was; did not expect me to be like someone I was not. I have always found God to be gentle. I learned to fear (reverence) God during the first week of my salvation experience.

I know of the peace of God that you speak of, an abiding peace, not based on circumstances. I am also glad that God deals with each person as an individual. He completes His work in the believer, in order to accomplish His purpose in their life.

Thread Information