eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

Default Re: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

My other half is religious (Seventh Day Adventist). I pick her and the kids up every week and sometimes hear some of the service. Every week I shake my head in disbelief that they believe every word. But each to their own.
    Obviously a partnership built on tolerance, Kreative. A lesson for all religious zealots.

View lakeleilani's Feedback (+434)
    All-About lakeleilani
    View lakeleilani's Listings
    Forum Posts

People will always have various beliefs or non-beliefs. Time will tell whether any of those beliefs or non-beliefs are correct, although if when we die we fade away into nothingness, we will never know anyway. On the other hand, if when we die our soul lives on in an afterlife (or until we reach Nirvana, as the Hindus believe) then we will know.
    Leaving aside the way organised religion can be used as a form of control, it generally acts as a guideline for how we live our lives. In Britain, Christian elements still define our behaviour - such as not committing murder etc. It is usually extremists (of all faiths, Christian included) who give their religion a bad name and cause people to think that religion is the cause of wars and terrorist attacks. If people quietly practised their faith and got on with their lives, interacting with others in a peaceable fashion, then people wouldn't be so against religion. When people hear about acts of terrorism, murder, child abuse, and enforced idealisms all done under the protective umbrella of a religion, no wonder so many people in modern times want nothing to do with religion.
    Science has explained so much, although not everything, and I think we should be careful of thinking that we know it all. If God exists, he still exists whether people believe in him or not. Time will tell... or not.
    http://lake-leilani.ebid.net Fair Trade Clothes and accessories with a boho twist. For men, women and children.
    http://lake-leilani-occasions.ebid.net Handcrafted Cards and Fair Trade Gift Wrap.
    http://lake-leilani-gifts.ebid.net Fair Trade and Handcrafted gifts, incense and homeware.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeleilani View Post
    People will always have various beliefs or non-beliefs. Time will tell whether any of those beliefs or non-beliefs are correct, although if when we die we fade away into nothingness, we will never know anyway. On the other hand, if when we die our soul lives on in an afterlife (or until we reach Nirvana, as the Hindus believe) then we will know.
    Leaving aside the way organised religion can be used as a form of control, it generally acts as a guideline for how we live our lives. In Britain, Christian elements still define our behaviour - such as not committing murder etc. It is usually extremists (of all faiths, Christian included) who give their religion a bad name and cause people to think that religion is the cause of wars and terrorist attacks. If people quietly practised their faith and got on with their lives, interacting with others in a peaceable fashion, then people wouldn't be so against religion. When people hear about acts of terrorism, murder, child abuse, and enforced idealisms all done under the protective umbrella of a religion, no wonder so many people in modern times want nothing to do with religion.
    Science has explained so much, although not everything, and I think we should be careful of thinking that we know it all. If God exists, he still exists whether people believe in him or not. Time will tell... or not.
    ​Yes, if only they would.

My problem with the Bible and religion is not that religion causes war, though it has been an excuse for many wars. It is man that causes wars and they would have found another excuse without religion. No, my problem is that it is a story with no basis in truth. God created the world, well no he did not, God created man, that will be another no, he flooded the world and an ark saved a few animals and even better created rainbows to show he would not do it again. There are many more. Then you have that he leaves man to his own devices, unless he is flooding the world, destroying cities, turning people into pillars of salt, creating plagues. It is an interesting book, nothing more. But then so is The Lord of the Rings yet nobody gets down on their knees to that every week. Religious people have done plenty they can be proud of over the years, and plenty that they should be ashamed of, but others have done so without religion. It is simply that the world is populated with good people and some not so good, religion is increasingly irrelevant, it served a purpose for many years, even if that purpose was keeping the peasants under control, nowadays though it is not needed for this so will gradually fade.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeleilani View Post
    Very well put!

God is blamed for a lot of things he did not do and did not approve of.

As for 'does God exist'. If something exists it can be proven, it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.

All-About lakeleilani
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    As for 'does God exist'. If something exists it can be proven, it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.
    Some church groups have a very narrow and literal interpretation of the Bible, which not all Christians would agree with. I can't prove to you that God exists, but I believe God has proven to me that he exists. I can tell you why I believe that, but I can't prove it, and I don't expect others to believe it. It is all down to personal faith.
    http://lake-leilani.ebid.net Fair Trade Clothes and accessories with a boho twist. For men, women and children.
    http://lake-leilani-occasions.ebid.net Handcrafted Cards and Fair Trade Gift Wrap.
    http://lake-leilani-gifts.ebid.net Fair Trade and Handcrafted gifts, incense and homeware.

Quote Originally Posted by youmeus View Post
    Very well put!

God is blamed for a lot of things he did not do and did not approve of.
    If God created man then it is a design fault and anything man does is entirely down to him.

All-About lakeleilani
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    If God created man then it is a design fault and anything man does is entirely down to him.
    LOL. I've often wondered why he bothered!

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Attachment 42976

.............for those of varying faiths to objectively and subjectively discuss why they hold the beliefs or lack of beliefs that they do? Can this be done without arguing, insults, or attacks on others belief systems?
    I hope so.

I am a Christian.

I had went to bed one night and turned my TV on. There was a couple singing and though I don't remember what song they sang I enjoyed listening so much I didn't change the channel, then the man that was singing started preaching about the unpardonable sin. Usually I would have changed the channel as though I had respect for God, I didn't love Him and I was not interested in Him. I hadn't been in church for 33 years and I didn't even have or want a Bible in my home for most of those years.

After the preacher finished, God went to work on me and I began to listen. He wanted me to repent and accept Him as my Savior. I said I wanted to wait and I would go to church Sunday and then I would -- after all I wasn't interested in God but I didn't want to go to hell. God let me know that I would never have another chance. I really didn't love God but I did believe in Him and I really did believe in hell and an eternal after life and I didn't want to go to hell. I repented of my sins that night asking God to forgive me and when I got through I not only respected and believed in God but I really loved Him. Something was really different and it was something that I think has to be felt because I still can't explain it. I still don't know what God meant by me never having another chance --- I have wondered if He meant He would never give me the invitation again or something would happen that would end my life taking away the opportunity.

That was a little over 15 year ago and I still love God more than I have ever loved anyone or anything. I have an unexplainable peace within that I never had before --- even when there are heartaches and trials.
    I can't explain or expect anyone to understand how I feel unless they have experienced it too.

I too think everyone should be free to choose ---- I am so glad that I was free to and I hope others experience the peace I have.
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

Thread Information