Thread: Advice needed - SORN

Forum Newbie
    Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    View QueenTabbyCat's Feedback (+4)
    All-About QueenTabbyCat
    View QueenTabbyCat's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Advice needed - SORN

Last week the clutch went on my Ford mondeo meaning that it is now more expensive to repair her than the value of the car so I have decided to SORN her.

I will be getting a local scap man to deal with her.

However last year she had four brand new tyres which have done about 4000 in 18 months so basically have as much tread on as when they were fitted.

Do you think it would be wise for me to swap these tyres over to well worn tyres before she is scrapped...and then sell the good ones. I think that the scrap man wont take account of the tyres so would rather get a few more pennies on top of the scrap price.

Do you think it might be a good idea to put a notice in the local newsagent to see if people want bits from her for themselves before scrapping her.

Any ideas on how to get the most money out of this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Advice needed - SORN

I scrapped mine a couple of months ago. But there was nothing worth taking off it. I did keep the manual which is listed on here. If I was you I would try to get what you can for tyres and anything else. The scrap value is simply that, the weight of the car and that days scrap prices, from their point of view anything else of value would be a bonus. If you advertise the tyres you might even be able to get the old ones off the buyer to swap over and make moving it for the eventual scrapping easier.

Forum Newbie
    Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    View QueenTabbyCat's Feedback (+4)
    All-About QueenTabbyCat
    View QueenTabbyCat's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks Kreative Bargains....really what I thought. The more I can get for the bits the better really. Cant afford another car so anything extra is a bonus for the coffers. Problem is tax is due end of August, MOT first week of September so everything came at once. Do you think it is worth putting the tyres on here or, as I suspect, better to advertise in the local shop?

Might be worth putting an ad in the local free ads paper (and here) advertising it for sale as 'Spares or Repair'. That way if anyone is interested, you will get rid of the car for, probably, more than the scrap value.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cdsmith15 View Post
    Might be worth putting an ad in the local free ads paper (and here) advertising it for sale as 'Spares or Repair'. That way if anyone is interested, you will get rid of the car for, probably, more than the scrap value.
    Trouble is that its got to be towed away by any buyer.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by QueenTabbyCat View Post
    Do you think it would be wise for me to swap these tyres over to well worn tyres before she is scrapped...and then sell the good ones. I think that the scrap man wont take account of the tyres so would rather get a few more pennies on top of the scrap price.
    The scrap yards round here insist that the tyres are removed first.(They have to pay to recycle them)I'd just leave the rims if it were me.Most of them use a Hiab to lift onto the truck.

I personally would just remove the wheels. My local `responsible waste disposal expert` (scrap man!) would prefer they were anyway (as bluebedouin says) ....They just crane or lift the scrap onto a flat bed anyway........ I had for my sins a Triumph Acclaim that a friend wanted the engine out of a while back......I put it up as `breaking` first with a take off what you want before it gets scrapped on xxx date policy....maybe an idea?

Thread Information