Thread: Liberty Dime Question

Forum Newbie
    View Stlcoin's Feedback (+2407)
    All-About Stlcoin
    View Stlcoin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Liberty Dime Answer

Quote Originally Posted by poorrichardstuff View Post
    I have a six figure sum of these coins in my "collection", having accumulated same for more than 40 years, and several of this date coins in front of me with an 10 power eye loupe. After reviewing some of uninformed responses, thought I'd better answer your question. There's virtually nothing wrong with the 3 placement in the date on your Fine condition coin, as the 3 tail normally extends ~20% below the end of the 4 tail. From your photo it appears the reason your coin looks strange is because your image indicates that the edge of your coin has been rolled inward towards the date.

This condition is observed when you follow the flat rim around the coin counter-clockwise to below the 4 tail where the flat rim disappears, and both the tail of the 4 and 3 are distorted towards the coin center. The flat rim surface should should be continuous 360 degrees around the coin. The distortion condition can also be observed in the 4 which should appear virtually identical to the four which I just typed in this sentence, having included angles of 45, 45, and 90 degrees. The image appears to show that the horizontal line in the 4 has been distorted from a straight condition.

Only an "in-hand" examination could determine whether the supposed damage is post mintage or "as struck", but my familiarity with this coin and conditions would have me venture an opinion that the supposed condition occurred after leaving the mint process.

If you need additional information, send me a message, richfoss@localnet.com

Hi All - In full agreement with Richards assesment, in addition to this one must take into consideration the physical manufacturing characteristics that contribute to various "anomolies" that can take place.

1. Multiple Die Pairs are utilized to stike Business production strikes, each die was hand set in this era so no two dies will display perfect diagnostics for ancilliary details of the coin - i.e Date - Mint Mark - Legend, this inconsistency leads to creation of RPM's, VAM's, etc.

2. Die Pair Marriages {the use of different Obverse & Reverse Dies} are inconsistent at best along with the U.S Mints documentation of these marriages.

3. Physical characteristics of the pre-struck planchet. Material purity {i.e - Trapped gases or imperfections, these usually cause lamination defect}. Planchet thickness, diameter prior to forming the raised edge & concurrent reeding, some will be offset due to this condition and when struck, can magnify the defect of the planchet.

4. Actual position of the planchet in the coining chamber during striking. There are conditions related to the pressure applied during the strike causing several issues of both weak or extremely strong details, tilted collar striking, off center conditions even die clashing {contact of Obverse/Reverse dies without a planchet in the chamber}.

5. Die cleaning & Die erosion also has an impact, this is especially true for a coin series that is struck in very high quantities such as the Mercury - Liberty Head Dime variety.

Although the list above could certainly be expanded upon, these are the primary culprits for inconsistency between common production strikes.

In reviewing the pictures of the 1943 Merc in question, it appears it is struck slightly off center {a South - Southwest strike} attributed by both placement of the date and what looks like a small amount of Finning on the edge of the coin at the 7 O'Clock position. The 1943 series had over 324 Million struck between the mints, many various anomolies exist for the series.

Sorry for the long post, hope the info helps.

Happy Collecting - Jim

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stlcoin View Post

In reviewing the pictures of the 1943 Merc in question, it appears it is struck slightly off center {a South - Southwest strike} attributed by both placement of the date and what looks like a small amount of Finning on the edge of the coin at the 7 O'Clock position. The 1943 series had over 324 Million struck between the mints, many various anomolies exist for the series.

Sorry for the long post, hope the info helps.

Happy Collecting - Jim
    Hi Jim,

Thank you for your post; much appreciated. From your list of primary culprits for inconsistencies, which one was most likely one to have impacted the Mercury in question? Would this be considered an error coin? Does the inconsistency add any additional value to the coin?

Thanks for considering these questions.

Forum Newbie
    View Stlcoin's Feedback (+2407)
    All-About Stlcoin
    View Stlcoin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Hi Jim,

Thank you for your post; much appreciated. From your list of primary culprits for inconsistencies, which one was most likely one to have impacted the Mercury in question? Would this be considered an error coin? Does the inconsistency add any additional value to the coin?

Thanks for considering these questions.
    Burgyeb - The merc pictured was struck very slightly off center {Less than 1%} most likely from a loose condition within the retention collar when struck. The coin is unfortunately not considered an error since the amount of coeccentricity does not extend beyond the edge of the coins rim and therefore would not add any addtional value to it. Generally, off center specimens under the 10% range only command minimal values as an error. Hope the info helps.

Jim

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you Jim, appreciate your concise assessments.

Ava

Default Re: Liberty Dime Question

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Can anyone familiar with date on Liberty Dime please give some feedback about this coin. The # 3 appears a bit odd shaped/positioned in my opinion. I do not have another 1943 mercury to compare. Any other comments concerning the coin would be appreciated. Thanks.

The 3 on a 1943 dime has the shape of the 3 in this message. The width is narrower than the contiguous 4, struck with the top and bottom being slightly lower than the 4. Depending on the "rim" wear, the 3 will often be blended into the rim, making the number almost indiscernible, often appearing to be a 1, unless viewed with a loupe, varying the coin angle under a lamp. Additional Questions? e-mail: richfoss@localnet.com

Thread Information