Thread: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

Quote Originally Posted by hotandvintage View Post
    The same question to you adruml, if sales are all that matter then why are you searching other sites if it is so good over there?
    If you read my post you will find your answer.

And poles are nothing in most cases, as they are all dependent on what you ask and where you ask it.
    I'm assuming you are referring to polls. The particular poll I was referring to was indeed random and simple.

You do all seem to be taking the short term or even blinkered view on the growth of ebid, as you seemingly continue to ignore the continues changes ebay continue to create, as they change to their new image.
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with 'the new image"

Auctions are not part of that new image and are being pushed off ebay, if you like it or not, they will not exist, other than to host a few charity events in the future of ebay, as they have everything against them. From fee structure to the demands of ebay.
    If you say so.

Most auction sellers tend to think the ripoff fee structure that they use for auctions is the same as those that BIN sellers are using, so unless they sell low cost items they are not going to list their goods on ebay. They will look for alternatives.
    Not sure I understand what your trying to say here but selling low cost items on ebay just doesn't work out very well.

You also have the fact that ebay is becoming too complicated to use for new users.

Simple reason why:
    What is the fee to list an item on ebay?
    Depends on what you are listing and how you are listing. Seller needs to determine what might be best for themselves.

Well em it depends if you list auction or BIN, it depends on your start price, it depends if you are a power seller or a platinum seller, it depends what country you are in
    Discounts for Powersellers are going away, Platinum is a level in the Power Seller category. Are you referring to Top Rated Sellers?

What shipping can you charge?
    Well em it depends on your country, on the category.
    You put the dang darn weight and box size in and let the shipping calculator do that and if you want add a handling fee.

How many free photographs do you get on your listing?
    It depends on the category, or if you use an off ebay listing tools
    You can use Auctiva for free or if you have a store (which for some reason appears important to folks) pictures are free.

What does it cost if you sell your item on ebay?
    Em it depends on who you are, have you washed your face that morning.
    What's the value of the item and what type of item is it? Doesn't depend on who you are it depends on what you do. Follow he rules play fair use common sense and use the site (any site) to your advantage. Washing your face in the morning would probably be the common sense part of your statement.

Now most that have looked elsewhere understand most of those questions but there are a lot of people that are just not that savvy
    Savvy or have the ability to read between the lines?

Read the thread it is eBid could be an Ebay rival and is not what's wrong with eBid or Ebay nor is it who is happy here or there.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    I keep hearing (including lots of times in this thread) that ebid is viable alternative auction site.

I prefer to call it an ''additional'' auction site - aka just another shop window to show my goods.
    Nothing more - nothing less.
    An accurate summation.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

I keep hearing (including lots of times in this thread) that ebid is viable alternative auction site.

I prefer to call it an ''additional'' auction site - aka just another shop window to show my goods.

Couldn't agree more.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

At the end of the day, when it is all said and done..........having success in making meaningful (profitable) sales is probably the goal of most online sellers. IMHO most sellers will hook up with whatever venue can help them reach this goal, and also satisfy other less apparent goals they may have (friendly/supportive forums, sense of community, responsive support, etc.).

Personally, I am always glad to hear when an online seller is able to make successful sales levels. I measure success by being able to pay one's bills, business expenses, and personal extras from their online sales. I frankly don't care what venue(s) they utilize to make that a reality. I certainly would hope that many sellers are aspiring to reach this level of functioning (if only in your dreams).

However, I said it before and I will say it again. One's ability to generate meaningful sales in one or more venues, does not give that individual the right to disrepect other sellers because their aspirations differ. My highest goal would be to be able to achieve success as an online seller with eBid factoring in as a viable venue.

So, congratulations to any and all sellers on eBid, who have had successful sales levels on here or in any other venue. Please keep your success on high ground, by encouraging other sellers on eBid to be successful also, without insulting them or eBid.

Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    Savvy or have the ability to read between the lines?

Read the thread it is eBid could be an Ebay rival and is not what's wrong with eBid or Ebay nor is it who is happy here or there.
    I am just asking the simple question if it is so good over there, then why do you need an alternative, I have heard several of you mention the fact ebid is not working and some have said it never will and it is so good over there, but the simple question of if it is so good then why move at all seems to be ignored, and if you answered it then maybe you could help point it out, as I have read this full thread and I am still at a loss.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am just asking the simple question if it is so good over there, then why do you need an alternative, I have heard several of you mention the fact ebid is not working and some have said it never will and it is so good over there, but the simple question of if it is so good then why move at all seems to be ignored, and if you answered it then maybe you could help point it out, as I have read this full thread and I am still at a loss.

Its cheap and must be tried.

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well additional for some, alternative for others.

If your total livlihood is dependant upon online selling then natuarlly additional sites (to the main one, eBay) could be sought and used.
    If however you're happy using a single site (for whatever reason), then there are different choices, so if deciding against the main one, then an 'alternative' could be eBid.

....... You also have the fact that ebay is becoming too complicated to use for new users.

Simple reason why:

What is the fee to list an item on ebay?
    Well em it depends if you list auction or BIN, it depends on your start price, it depends if you are a power seller or a platinum seller, it depends what country you are in

What shipping can you charge?

Well em it depends on your country, on the category.

How many free photographs do you get on your listing?

It depends on the category, or if you use an off ebay listing tools

What does it cost if you sell your item on ebay?

Em it depends on who you are, have you washed your face that morning.

Now most that have looked elsewhere understand most of those questions but there are a lot of people that are just not that savvy

I tend to agree with this. I think all that's being expressed here by hotandvintage is the simple fact that as time goes on, more and more rules, catagories, pricing points, procedures, options, etc etc etc etc. come into play. AND IT DOES BECOME MORE AND MORE AND MORE INVOVED.

How does it go again? KEEP IT SIMPLE !!!

Not everyone wants to spend copious quantities of time learning, relearning, managing, sorting or converting their listings to the exclusion of other things in life. The objective is to simply sell items. That's all.

Selling items online shouldn't be the exclusive right of those who are cleverly computer savvy. It should be made and kept (I think) simple enough for the average person to achieve.
    Last edited by emporiumdays; 11th June 2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Forum Diehard
    All-About emporiumdays
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    ........ I never understand why .............. buyers keep coming back (to eBay) knowing will pay much more and get much less for own money….I mean ok some sites don’t have exactly same item which buyers looking for BUT many sites just have exactly same items like eBay and many same exactly items so why buyers not try a less to save huge amount of own money for like this items….........
    Hi Dzambo!
    I think some buyers (believe it or not) don't necessarily know that they may be paying more (in some instances) on eBay.
    I think there are those who ONLY buy from eBay whenever they shop online. (I can't proove this, but common sense says there's bound to be some in that catagory - even if few).

Then, there's the (probably larger) group who simply know, and are familiar with eBay and therefore prefer to shop there.
    We are creatures of HABIT. Habits are hard to break away from.
    Then there's the 'Trust' component. Probably the majority of buyers on eBay know that eBay's quite safe.
    The stringent requirement of sellers over there, mean that 'successful' sales are more likely these days.

This is what eBid are up against. Breaking deeply entrenched habits that people have formed.

Let's face it, if you're in your comfort zone as a buyer, getting good service and a huge range from a shopping site that you've gone to the truble of joining, then there's got to be a good reason for you to take the trouble to change.
    You could even be happy enough paying extra for items if you knew it was safe, well known and comfortable to use.

So to make a change to eBid, new buyers would need to see a good range, safe puchasing environment and a relatively easy means of joining.
    If any of these are missing (especially the ease of joining) then buyers may not move over.
    The point here being that it doesn't always come down to just the 'price' of the items for sale.

To truly Rival eBay there's these other factors as well. Dzambo my friend ....
    Last edited by emporiumdays; 11th June 2011 at 04:09 AM.

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

C’mon Steve half a whole world knows already eBay have bigger fees from any auction site in whole world….and half a world know Pay Pal is one of the best secure payment on-line…and most of sellers on eBid accept Pay Pal…....and for paying ‘’extra’’ for item or items I just say for USA consumer buying power because this is one of large consumer base in whole world, right now most of regular people in USA make about $25.000 to $30.000 or even less of that IF YOU WORK….and on about 44% people in here already use ‘’welfare’’ stuff…so I don’t see where is ‘’extra’’ money come from…????....So in this Economy and available jobs peoples really need to find and buy ‘’cheap’’ stuff without paying 3 or 4 or more times for same exactly item which most of sellers selling on eBay that expensive….In the end most of people in here make this amount of money a year or already is in welfare check and ‘’habits’’ really can’t help you much…doesn’t matter what because person running out of money and in that personal situation the buyer go on eBay and shop I really can’t understand that…or maybe because ‘’only’’ eBay protect only buyers and don’t protect sellers anymore in any way so some of buyers can try to buy item and after that fill out claim ‘’not receive’’ and after that have the item and the money….ohhh well I don’t like this stuff to come in here and top of that the seller CAN’T leave negative feedback for the any buyer anymore….....

Forum Diehard
    All-About emporiumdays
    Forum Posts

Yes Dzambo - a lot of people do know eBay has bigger fees than other sites, but that really only affects the sellers.
    There's a whole lot of occasional and regular buyers who simply pay the asking price and get the goods.

I know what you're saying about the need for people to buy 'cheap' - given the economy.
    But some (don't know how many), also value the 'safety' aspect of a site like e**y.
    Still other buyers simply don't know eBid exists.
    Still others know of other sites but don't trust them enough to buy from.
    Others like to keep things 'simple' and don't want to be buying from multiple sites, and prefer sticking to one. (They only have to get their head around one buying 'procedure')
    When money is extremely tight - people stick to buying the essentials of life, and may not even use online buying.
    Others may be somewhat tight for money, but can still find their way clear to buy small online purchases now and then.

I think there's a whole range of reasons why people have the buying habbits that we see.

Some can be addressed (like making an alt. site more attractive - to bring in the buyers & sellers), but other factors like people's financial situation can't be addressed in the same way.

Thread Information