Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excessive postage

Question Excessive postage

Hi I am intending to move most of my ebay items onto ebid, due to the price hike & changes to the feedback system which are which are coming soon.
    I have done a bit of research & have noticed some sellers on eBid have items priced low with high postage i.e. 99p + £3 P&P when the postage should be more like £1.
    Does eBid have a policy as on eBay where this is not allowed & if so how do you report said items?
    Anyone?

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

ask the sellers questions first why are they charging so much maybe they not near to local p.o. etc.

If buyers think the postage high they will move on to another seller if not happy with total price, i know i would.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nuttydad2001 View Post
    Hi I am intending to move most of my ebay items onto ebid, due to the price hike & changes to the feedback system which are which are coming soon.
    I have done a bit of research & have noticed some sellers on eBid have items priced low with high postage i.e. 99p + £3 P&P when the postage should be more like £1.
    Does eBid have a policy as on eBay where this is not allowed & if so how do you report said items?
    Anyone?
    I'm not sure i'd agree that £3.00 for postage/packaging/handling is 'excessive' !
    What's the item? unless it's really light and slim the postage alone is £1.20 minimum, then theirs packaging- jiffy envelope, tissue paper etc.., printing and stationary for the invoice/compliment slip; cost of address lables, ebid stickers, fuel costs for the trip to the post office, sellers time in packing etc.. In fact most of us probably don't charge enough

there may be cases where P & P charges are excessive, but as ebid don;t charge fees to list this is much les likely to happen here than on sites that do.

As a buyer you should always consider the complete cost of an item before bidding.

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

or just buy from me cos i charge nothing for p&p as i get most of it for free

Forum Lurker
    View cvd's Feedback (+10)
    All-About cvd
    View cvd's Listings
    Forum Posts

Some countries, it's expensive to ship from.

Example, if I were to send one 15g connector to the USA (cheapest destination, cheaper than shipping to the next province), my raw cost is:
    $1.95 - Light Packet (no insurance, can take a few weeks)
    $5.05 - Small Packet Surface (insured, can take a couple months)
    $6.45 - Small Packet Airmail (insured, less than two weeks)

These prices I have *no* control over and look excessive, especially if the item costs only a buck

Cheers!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Also you have to remember that since the Royal Mails latest scam (Pricing In Proportion) the charges have rocketted. But ultimately you have the answer, if you don't like the price don't pay it.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

£3 Isn't that excessive really, that wouldn't put me off. What I object to is when the postage is excessively high like £5 extra than it should be. However, how many times have you ordered something via a catalogue for instance and discovered they charge a flat fee? You could be lucky and have something heavy for that price, or unlucky when the postage is actually higher than the item you paid for. When I am doing online ordering I always check the postage first and do not get it as simple as that if the fee for postage is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
    £3 Isn't that excessive really, that wouldn't put me off. What I object to is when the postage is excessively high like £5 extra than it should be. However, how many times have you ordered something via a catalogue for instance and discovered they charge a flat fee? You could be lucky and have something heavy for that price, or unlucky when the postage is actually higher than the item you paid for. When I am doing online ordering I always check the postage first and do not get it as simple as that if the fee for postage is too expensive.
    I would tend to agree with this post, I think one good thing about this site is you automatically see the price total for the item (90% of the time) my postage ranges from 30p to £20 and thats not including those items which have 'free p&p'

I for one always compare prices on items and then make my decission based on what I see, if I don't like the price I simply move on to the next item or site. But having said this, I will never use ebay again to buy unless its an item I need very quickly and everywhere else has sold out.

Some TV channels that sell items have a set P&P charge of £7.99 plus £1.50 for the phone call to make the order, that a total of £9.49, and it doesn't matter what you buy, it's set, it can be a tiny box or a large item.
    Last edited by spaceman76; 29th April 2008 at 01:58 PM.
    My CD and DVD listings. Mobile and mp3 accessories
    http://uk.nine.ebid.net/perl/main.cg...arch&type=user

Thread Information