Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Dowsing/divining

Default Dowsing/divining

Hi

Can anyone recommend a book on dowsing/divining?
    It's for someone who has been using rods and pendula for a few years but would now like a little more advanced information - but not too complicated/etheral!

Advice, please.

Thanks

Check out our bargain craft supplies, including embroidery and cross-stitch

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

i got the one by Uri Geller..only glanced at it so far..but its not too technical..(has to be easy for me)

Thanks - I'll have a look for that one.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

One that has been helpful for me, and we recommend it to our customers, has been "Pendulums and the Light" by Diane Stein, published by The Crossing Press. It has been around for years so used copies should be cheap and widely available.

Another resource we recommend is now a free download, A Letter to Robin, if you poke around their site some more you may find something else that is helpful to you.

I'm not sure what you are wanting to "do" with dowsing, but there is also Spiritual Response Therapy. I've practiced this for years and have found it to be helpful personally, and clients have generally given me positive feedback too. It can be kind of ethereal but a lot of that is down to the practitioner, you can kind of be swept away by the minutia of the thing if you are one who is prone to being "swept away." Does that make any sense? If you would like more information about the nuts-and-bolts of this or are interested in a free session, pm me----Jean, that's you too---seems like the only time I do SRT these days is when I'm doing it for someone else, although I know I feel better when I keep at it fairly regularly. You know, like exercising, eating well, etc......one of those things that I've let slide, but keep meaning to get back to.....

Is there an Irish Dowsing Society, or something similar? When we do live events we run into different dowsing societies, and the information they give out is generally helpful. I've never followed up with any of them online but I have friends who are members of various ones, and those people use dowsing in all kinds of fascinating ways. Have a poke around
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Thanks for that info, Pearly.
    I am asking on behalf of one of my customers. I got him started off a couple of years ago after I contacted the Irish Dowsing Society who were very helpful with their recommendations (but there wasn't much available at the time).
    My customer doesn't have a computer and I don't want to volunteer to start printing off downloads for him but I did give him the name of a site where there was a good selection, in the hopes that someone else may help him in that regard.
    So, at this stage, I just wanted to find a book or two to buy in for him and the first one you suggested seems to be just the ticket.
    Will look for it right now, before I get distracted by something else on the forums!

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Do you have "back-to-the-land" magazines there? The sort you might read if you were ready to chuck it all in, buy a scrap of weeds miles from civilization and raise your own food? Those magazines used to periodically run articles about dowsing as it pertains to finding water, desirable soil, and ley lines. If your friend likes to hang out at boot sales, he might find something helpful in one of those publications. The articles I'm thinking about, here, would be in magazines from the 1980s and earlier but the information would be as fresh as ever.
    Last edited by pearlygirl555; 18th December 2009 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post

Do you have "back-to-the-land" magazines there? The sort you might read if you were ready to chuck it all in, buy a scrap of weeds miles from civilization and raise your own food? Those magazines used to periodically run articles about dowsing as it pertains to finding water, desirable soil, and ley lines. If your friend likes to hang out at boot sales, he might find something helpful in one of those publications. The articles I'm thinking about, here, would be in magazines from the 1980s and earlier but the information would be as fresh as ever.

Nothing like that, that I'm aware of ... until very recently, Ireland (except Dublin of course) was very much an agricultural country so we never really "left" the land. Still considered perfectly normal to contact a dowser to find water on your land (and get your warts cured by the nearest seventh son of a seventh son).
    But now that you have put the idea in my head, I must have a look at Moore's Almanac (tides for fishing info, astrology, etc.)

PS Found that book you suggested on Amazon but thought my customer might object to the mention of Goddess in the title! So clicked on the link where people who had that book recommended others and found ones with charts which I think are just what my customer would like.
    Thanks very much for that helpful lead.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Whoops! I can only see the spine of the book from where I'm sitting and didn't realize "goddess" was in the title

Glad you were able to find something for him anyway. I know the "Letter to Robin" has a chart but I'm not sure if you could just download that. It is a circle split into different wedges, covers a lot of ground.

There was piece on CNN over the summer about the chronic water shortage in California, and how people are increasingly turning to dowsing to find hidden groundwater. Well, not so much "people" turning to dowsing, but major agricultural businesses......they are finding that the "water witches" are far better at finding useable water than the geologists. The success rate of the dowsers was around 30% higher than the scientists, which put the dowsers into the 90% range.

I heard that dowsers here can often find water where geologists couldn't. They generally cost less as well!

Thread Information