Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard to find LEAD SUBSTITUTE...

Default Hard to find LEAD SUBSTITUTE...

We have 2 vehicles [1976 pu & 1969 Impala]. Both need lead substitute. It is harder & harder to find. My husband prefers the brand CD-2. Any one out there have access to this brand? We used to find it locally until a week or so ago. I was able to find it online, but it was a little pricy.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sounds like a market niche for you if you can find a wholesale source!

Hi bykimbo, good idea...will look around...

Hello OP, You might find it useful to do some internet searching on 'fuel cat'. This is basically a catalyst that is either fitted somewhere in the fuel line or can be put into the fuel tank of a car. There is a reaction between the metals in the fuel cat and the petrol. Many people in the UK who have classic cars with engines designed for leaded fuel have fitted fuel cats and have subsequently been using unleaded. The anecdotal understanding is that the way that the fuel cat interacts with the fuel supports the running of their engines on unleaded without any serious issues arising for the engines. I have 1 x 1964 car, 1 x 1974 car, 1 x 1984 car, 1 x 1985 car with engines designed for leaded all running with these fuel cats and not had any problems. These fuel cats also seem to improve the mileage achieved from fuel and can be fitted to modern cars for that purpose. It might be useful if you can find some time to research this.

Thanks westlondoncarpets, I will inform my husband about this. I appreciate you taking the time to post here.
    Last edited by hopeful2; 7th September 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Lurker
    View bkheavy's Feedback (+2)
    All-About bkheavy
    View bkheavy's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am wodering why leaded fuel is so necesary? Are your engines so high in compression that high test unleaded pings? Or is this the issue with valve wear?

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lead was originally added to stop detonation in engines as higher and higher compression ratios were used.It was later found that a side effect was that the 'lead' coating deposited on the valve seats helped stop the micro welding of the exhaust valves to the seats which causes erosion especially of the exhaust valve seat.The exhaust runs much hotter than the inlet,not being cooled by the intake of fresh air/fuel mixture on induction.
    The removal of lead in fuel meant that some engines especially at high revs or under heavy load suffered from the valve seats wearing away.Old engines will have had a thin coating deposited from years of running on lead and whilst this stayed intact the valve seatings would not recede (the so called lead memory) it is also a fallacy to believe as some do that any alloy head is immune to such damage because it has inserts fitted,these are often still soft enough to suffer from such damage.
    In passing there has never been any fuel 'cat' or other device that has passed any of the independant tests conducted over the years by various car makers and auto testing establishments on additives and devices to replicate the effects of lead,neither have they been found to increase economy.One £20 device was found to consist of a few air gun pellets wrapped in some wire netting,another auction site is full of such devices,use an approved additive,there are plenty to chose from.

Forum Lurker
    View bkheavy's Feedback (+2)
    All-About bkheavy
    View bkheavy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tetryhydral (sp) lead is incredibly toxic. I can belive there are fewer and fewer "approved additives" available in the US.
    I am aware of what lead did. I was just wondering why she was so in need of it. Unless someone has a real high performance, high compression engine, I would think today's high test unleaded will work.

Quote Originally Posted by bkheavy View Post
    Tetryhydral (sp) lead is incredibly toxic. I can belive there are fewer and fewer "approved additives" available in the US.
    I am aware of what lead did. I was just wondering why she was so in need of it. Unless someone has a real high performance, high compression engine, I would think today's high test unleaded will work.
    I am not a auto mechanic...you would have to talk to the designers of those engines which were built to run on leaded fuel..all I know is, if we do not add lead substitute in the gas tank with every fill up, the engine will knock & hubby gets very excited.

We found some lead subsitute at a store close by & I bought all they had [only 3 bottles]. I did buy online but, as I said it is a little pricey.

We still drive the 1976 pickup truck on a daily basis & on trips. The 1969 Impala Convertable rarely gets out of the garage but it also needs the leaded fuel. Our 1985 Pickup truck is a work truck & runs fine on unleaded gas.

He does not want to buy a new truck/car...[payments, you know]. Ours are long since paid for & he keeps them maintained as well as he can.

Thanks to all who have offered their comments here....Hope you all have a very happy new year...

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Normally retarding the ignition a coule of degrees will stop pre ignition (ping).In the UK there are additives based on Sodium and Phosphorus which seem popular.
    I don't know what the situation is in the states but I though STP marketed a substitute.

Thread Information