All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ok no problem
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Quote Originally Posted by Huddylion View Post
    Selling? vinyl ????????
    No. Sold over a hundred bucks worth of jock straps on the Bay of Fees between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but haven't been able to push any vinyl there or here. I even closed my GEMM shop this past week. I've got one alternate site that I'm going to start posting my vinyl to, as well as here, and see how it goes. Just got a scanner that is big enough to scan album covers (almost... cuts off about a half inch), so I can start posting albums again since my digital camera has been going on the fritz.

Records, VideoDiscs, Tapes, Books, Puzzles, Gifts

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    Forum Posts

Now, contrary to belief I do not sell a vast amount of vinyl sadly which is a shame, not saying I havent sold any because I have, thats why I have decided to put the whole shop up for grabs, even my BUY ONE GET ONE FREE hasnt boosted sales which I find strange.

Maybe Raindropsie has the best idea offering a discount off her prices I might start offering 50% off of buy it now prices see how that goes for a while .

My feedback of

Default It's not just vinyl

Hi everyone, a happy new year to all.

With music sales it's not just vinyl that is struggling to sell. I ran a succesful music store here in the UK for almost 19 years, and for the last 2 - 5 of those saw all the problems that the industry is facing coming. In the UK the first problem was that the record companies pampered to the requests of the super-markets for bigger discounts, better returns, longer time to pay etc, etc while at the same time penalising the traditional record dealers, by wanting prompt payment on a reduced time frame, lower discounts, so they became un-competative. They also decided unilateraly that people did not want to buy vinyl anymore and the then 5 major distributors more or less stopped production of LPs and singles. What they didn't bargain for at the time was the collectability factor of vinyl. This was picked up by the re-emerging independent sector who started to release limited edtions that small independent stores could stock and sell in good quantities, because the supermarkets and chain stores took the word of the big record companies and stopped selling vinyl. So we had a period when we sold more vinyl than CDs and at better mark ups.

Then the big companies realised their mistake and stated to release vinyl again, starting by using the smaller retailers who had always sold vinyl, before then more or less dumping them once the likes of HMV & Virgin wanted in again.

Then on top of all this came downloads. No more to be said really. Even without the illegal stuff, the record companies can now sell direct to you with virtually no manufacturing costs. They pay the bands less for the privilage, so more and more bands are doing it themselves.

CD sales are at their lowest since they first appeared and you can pick up stuff in supermarkets for £1 - £3 on a regular basis. I got a Neil Young greatest hits CD early this year for £2 this would normally have sold for around £7.

Having said all that, and sorry for the moan, I genuinly believe that vinyl will always sell to collectors, record fairs still attract lots of people and not just 50 simething blokes.

So I'm sad that Huddy is giving up on vinyl, he was one of my first customers on here, so I know he loves the stuff himself.

I will keep on listing, still got hundreds to list.

Once again best wishes for the new year to all

Cheers Mel

All-About Huddylion
    Forum Posts

Hi Mel
    I agree 110% with what you have said, really do, i'm not so much giving up, well dont know what i'm doing really, lol, like I said it has been coming for a while and certaings things have just speeded up the process.
    I really do need the room just havent got the space I used to have I moved up north in 2004 I had a very big four bedroomed detached house and i now live in a normal two bed semi a bit of difference I can assure you lol, been putting it off and off hoping i'd sell a large amount of the stuff im not to worried about , having sold some Its just not shifting at the speed I hoped, coupled by the fact the collection i am keeping and would never part with seems to be growing weekly .
    I have now changed the offer to 50% off instead of BUY ONE GET ONE FREE because that didnt seem to work that well .
    Am still looking for a buyer fro the main collection that is in the shop had one note of interest dont know if it will lead to a sale or not we will see.

I have no intention of leaving ebid at all as i really like it here .
    My feedback of

Smile Glad to hear your not going

Hi Huddy, glad to hear your not going to be leaving eBid, you are really one of the "characters" on here, that make it such a friendly site.

I know my previous post was abit of a ramble but it as been on my chest as they say for a while.

Have a great New Year

Cheers Mel

All-About Huddylion
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by booksntings View Post
    Hi Huddy, glad to hear your not going to be leaving eBid, you are really one of the "characters" on here, that make it such a friendly site.

I know my previous post was abit of a ramble but it as been on my chest as they say for a while.

Have a great New Year

Cheers Mel
    Not a problem Mel and thanks youve made me LOL
    Pete
    My feedback of

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Listing Records

something I have noticed about record listings here, is that they seldom have in the item title the genre that they are from:

ie - Northern Soul / Rockabilly / Punk / Heavy Metal etc. etc.

I think sellers assume that buyers know what they are looking for and will search by name -(which in one respect is true.) However, by searching by name you would only find stuff by that one artist, and certainly with the more obscure ones it is highly unlikley you would think it would be listed, so probably wouldn't find it.

Today I have searched for the names Ernie Doe, Willie Tee, The Contours, The Five Royales and a couple of others - Yet a simple search of NORTHERN SOUL in 45 rpm vinyl should have picked them all up, along with any complete unknowns which you would never even think about searching for.

Also, it is worth making clear what label a record is on ie - Motown, Capitol, Argo, Atco, Columbia, Decca etc. As these again help to narrow down reams and reams of records wich the collector would have no interest in.

I have just bought a copy of Robert Knights "Love On A Mountain Top", because I searched for Robert Knight, but had it been listed under Northern Soul, I'm sure more people would have looked at it and bid.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Thread Information