My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Mis-Pressed Vinyls

Default Mis-Pressed Vinyls

If a record is mis-pressed, does the record company issue a new reference number to the correct pressing?

Thanks for any help you experts can give me again.

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    If a record is mis-pressed, does the record company issue a new reference number to the correct pressing?
    Depends on the situation. Say for instance... an LP lists the third song on the label on side one as something, but it's actually something else. It will be re-pressed to fix the problem with the same catalog number, but usually have a "RE1" or something like that in the trail-off wax to denote that it is revision 1.

7" Singles that are pressed with the wrong song on a side (different than what the label states) will usually be repressed for correction with no changes made to the label, catalog number, or trail-off wax, though there are the oddball exceptions.

So my curiosity is up and I have to ask... what have you got?

-=WB=-

Records, VideoDiscs, Tapes, Books, Puzzles, Gifts

Quote Originally Posted by WindsorBear View Post
    Depends on the situation. Say for instance... an LP lists the third song on the label on side one as something, but it's actually something else. It will be re-pressed to fix the problem with the same catalog number, but usually have a "RE1" or something like that in the trail-off wax to denote that it is revision 1.

7" Singles that are pressed with the wrong song on a side (different than what the label states) will usually be repressed for correction with no changes made to the label, catalog number, or trail-off wax, though there are the oddball exceptions.

So my curiosity is up and I have to ask... what have you got?

-=WB=-
    Not a really valuble one but its

The Shadows, 20 Golden Greats (EMTV3) It says in the guide book that it was mis-pressed and has Pink Floyd animals on side 2.

Now as I know nothing about either The Shadows or Pink Flyodd, and all the music on the vinyl is instumental i have not got a clue. Thats why I asked about different vinyl references / cover references being issued.

I have just checked the run off ( if thats the bit at the end with no music) and it says YAX 5250 - 1 EMTV 3 B-1 on side 2 and on side one it saysYAX 5249 - 3 EMTV 3 A - 3

So I still haven't got a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Not a really valuble one but its

The Shadows, 20 Golden Greats (EMTV3) It says in the guide book that it was mis-pressed and has Pink Floyd animals on side 2.

Now as I know nothing about either The Shadows or Pink Flyodd, and all the music on the vinyl is instumental i have not got a clue. Thats why I asked about different vinyl references / cover references being issued.

I have just checked the run off ( if thats the bit at the end with no music) and it says YAX 5250 - 1 EMTV 3 B-1 on side 2 and on side one it saysYAX 5249 - 3 EMTV 3 A - 3

So I still haven't got a clue.
    I'm not too versed on UK pressings, and my Goldmine books don't cover them, but I'm gonna give this a shot. I think you have a good pressing with all "Shadows" songs. Here's why...

Shadows 20 Greatest Hits was released in the UK on the EMI label, catalog number EMTV3. Pink Floyd's Animals album was released in the UK on the Harvest label (an EMI subsidiary label), catalog SHVL815. Since both sides of your album have etchings in the trail-off referencing EMTV3, I'm thinking the pressings are correct. If the album did indeed accidentally press with an Animals master on one of the sides, the trail-off should have reflected the etchings from that master, which would have been SHVL815.

As I am not familiar with The Shadows 20 Greatest Hits, I don't know how many tracks are showing on each side. But Pink Floyd's "Animals" LP had 2 separate tracks on Side 1, and 3 separate tracks on Side 2, so if your album has more tracks than that on either side, that would also indicate that it does not have a side pressed from the "Animals" master.

Hope this helps a bit.

-=WB=-

Records, VideoDiscs, Tapes, Books, Puzzles, Gifts

Quote Originally Posted by WindsorBear View Post
    I'm not too versed on UK pressings, and my Goldmine books don't cover them, but I'm gonna give this a shot. I think you have a good pressing with all "Shadows" songs. Here's why...

Shadows 20 Greatest Hits was released in the UK on the EMI label, catalog number EMTV3. Pink Floyd's Animals album was released in the UK on the Harvest label (an EMI subsidiary label), catalog SHVL815. Since both sides of your album have etchings in the trail-off referencing EMTV3, I'm thinking the pressings are correct. If the album did indeed accidentally press with an Animals master on one of the sides, the trail-off should have reflected the etchings from that master, which would have been SHVL815.

As I am not familiar with The Shadows 20 Greatest Hits, I don't know how many tracks are showing on each side. But Pink Floyd's "Animals" LP had 2 separate tracks on Side 1, and 3 separate tracks on Side 2, so if your album has more tracks than that on either side, that would also indicate that it does not have a side pressed from the "Animals" master.

Hope this helps a bit.

-=WB=-
    Yes that kind of makes sense.

I was thinking that "animals" was a single track that had been pressed instead of one of the shadows tracks. But from what you have said this is not likely to be the case, hence the one I have got is not the one in the book using this interpretation.

I am glad that I checked before listing. Another vinyl lesson learnt

Thread Information