My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Can someone clarify grading

Default Can someone clarify grading

Do you grade on how it plays or how it plays & looks? This is for vinyls & 78's

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

I grade on how it plays and looks, but like most things we all have our different ways of doing things.
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Weston Super Mare, Somerset, United Kingdom
    View WorleGirl's Feedback (+929)
    All-About WorleGirl
    View WorleGirl's Listings
    Forum Posts

I try to grade by how it plays and How it looks so that people won't jump to conclusions when they see a scratch that is pretty much harmless sounding.
    Just be as descriptive as you can, be honest and then the buyer will hae to little to complain about.
    As Huddylion said, you can still get it wrong (apparently I did on an unplayed Mint CD single that my buyer deemed as 'near mint'....)
    as everyone has their own standards, but just describe as accurately as you can!
    Craft Clearout
    (Most new, some hardly used)

Handmade by Jenny
    (my hobby results in lovingly handmade items that need a new home!)

Music

Thanks Huddy & Blossom.

I will now (when I have edited existing listings again) grade like this

Playing each side individually
    Visual each side
    Cover
    Inner sleeve
    Extras

Smile Feel free to copy HOW GRADING WORKS

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Do you grade on how it plays or how it plays & looks? This is for vinyls & 78's

As with previous replies both need to be considered.

I use a grading system that has been used by RECORD COLLECTOR magazine for years. Feel free to take a look at one of my listings in my DISKITS shop and copy the explanation HOW GRADING WORKS.

Cheers Mel

Forum Newbie
    View sunsounds's Feedback (+5)
    All-About sunsounds
    View sunsounds's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi all.I play both sides of all my 7" singles before I list and just try to be as honest I can.I grade using The Record Collector Magazine (The Rare Record Price Guide) and put the grading that I feel is accurate.My feedback on another site seemed to back me up.Interestingly,Huddy bought a duff one from me on that site,and could have left Neg feedback,but because I tried hard to sort it out (after sales service),we left Pos feedback for each other.Grading is vitally important with vinyl records,but everyone makes the odd mistake.I've only had one feedback since I moved here but it was from Huddy.Cheers,Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by booksntings View Post
    As with previous replies both need to be considered.

I use a grading system that has been used by RECORD COLLECTOR magazine for years. Feel free to take a look at one of my listings in my DISKITS shop and copy the explanation HOW GRADING WORKS.

Cheers Mel
    That grading is on all my current vinyl listings, I just need to list them on the varies points as previous post. I got a copy of the 2010 guide book very recently, and find the ready reckoner a great tool thats in it

Forum Newbie
    View sunsounds's Feedback (+5)
    All-About sunsounds
    View sunsounds's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi.Would some of you have a quick look at some of my listings and tell me what I'm doing wrong?I am honest with my grading (look at Queen).Regards,Steve.

Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
    View prism2's Feedback (+95)
    All-About prism2
    View prism2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sunsounds View Post
    Hi.Would some of you have a quick look at some of my listings and tell me what I'm doing wrong?I am honest with my grading (look at Queen).Regards,Steve.

Have you got a link?
    Paul

Partner trades as Raindropsies

1) Never grade 'Mint' - even when sealed. Near Mint should be your highest grade used. No vinyl or CD is perfect. It might be sealed and unplayed but could still have a pressing fault or storage wear.

2) Grade visually for speed of listing. If you see what looks like an audible scratch, listen to the record to check for audible surface noise.

3) Explain your grading. Example 1 - 'Vinyl is Very Good, sleeve is Very Good+. Some surface wear but cover is in excellent condition.' Example 2 - Vinyl is Very Good+, sleeve is Very Good. The record plays well but the cover has some sticker damage.' The more infomation the buyer has the less chance of disappointment. Customers may tolerate some wear but they won't like nasty suprises.

4) Grade conservatively.

5) Give a detailed explanation of your grading system or link to a full breakdown of the grading system you use.

6) Basic breakdown of Goldmine:
    - Near Mint: virtually flawless. Hard to see any wear at all. Vinyl is clean and shiny. Cover has no creases, tears, ring wear or marking, paper sleeve looks like new.
    -Very Good+: acceptable wear. Light surface wear only. No crackles or pops when played. Cover has light creasing or light wear at the opening.
    -Very Good: some audible surface wear, but not so much as to overwhelm the music. Noticeable light scratches, occasional surface noise. Cover has tape, writing or ring wear.
    -Good+: significant surface wear. Vinyl looks like it has been kicked around the floor, but will play without jumping or skipping. Cover is marred by major defects.
    -Fair / Poor - jumps, skips, major warping. The cover is complately split along the spine and barely holds the record
    http://www.discogs.com/help/mp-grading.html

Hope that helps, merry christmas

Thread Information