Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excessive postage

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman76 View Post
    Some TV channels that sell items have a set P&P charge of £7.99 plus £1.50 for the phone call to make the order, that a total of £8.49, and it doesn't matter what you buy, it's set, it can be a tiny box or a large item.
    I've noticed that as well..... I add £9 to the price shown on the screen than work out if I really want to pay the price.... you still get the odd bargin from time to time tho. but not as often as you use to

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman76 View Post
    Some TV channels that sell items have a set P&P charge of £7.99 plus £1.50 for the phone call to make the order, that a total of £8.49, and it doesn't matter what you buy, it's set, it can be a tiny box or a large item.
    £7.99
    £1.50+
    £8.49..........I think you mean £9.49, but I get your point.

Its a shame that all channels are not like QVC,

Forum Newbie
    View benjistone's Feedback (+6132)
    All-About benjistone
    View benjistone's Listings
    Forum Posts

In looking over a general selection of Ebid listings, one of the factors that is going to scare many new buyers away is the frighteningly high shipping on way too many auctions and which most potential bidders will recognize as totally excessive of actual or reasonable shipping/handling costs. I don't believe that the host site should dictate shipping fees charged by sellers however some of these sellers are totally out of touch with reality and are hurting everyone on this site by scaring away potential new browsing buyers who come to the site once, see the shipping fees on way too many listings, and never come back.

If i see an item 0.99 + 3.oo postage and the same item listed 4.20 free postage, i know which one i will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by benjistone View Post
    In looking over a general selection of Ebid listings, one of the factors that is going to scare many new buyers away is the frighteningly high shipping on way too many auctions and which most potential bidders will recognize as totally excessive of actual or reasonable shipping/handling costs. I don't believe that the host site should dictate shipping fees charged by sellers however some of these sellers are totally out of touch with reality and are hurting everyone on this site by scaring away potential new browsing buyers who come to the site once, see the shipping fees on way too many listings, and never come back.
    I've got this problem, people look at my listings and then think I'm charging excessive postage.

Perhaps you'd like to let me know how I can send a book that weighs nearly 2Kg for less than £5 and still be in pocket?

Same with books that weigh between 750-1Kg, the actual postage cost is £2.49, then there is bubble wrap and the jiffy/box (or the time to make the box out of cardboard, since I try as much as possible to use recycled packaging, it might not originally cost anything, but does take time to make up a box properly using a stanley knife and cardboard origami), time to pack, time to take to the post office, petrol to get there..... how much do you consider would be 'reasonable'? I charge £3 p&p, is that unreasonable?

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Op , on looking at your items on the other site your p&p is pretty much the same as others....and as a seasoned seller...you know that it is very difficult to FIGURE OUT POSTAGE...but if you look at seajays postage calculator...an item that is 444 grams sent 1st class standard will cost £1.94 the same item sent 1st class recorded will cost £2.66 .... neither of these costs include any box , I normally use new but will recycle if possible ... or packing or brown paper ... tape and stickers ...and as has been mentioned any time taken , nor the cost of getting to the post office...
    sorry OP , but I think you know exactly what is involved in postage and just felt like having a little dig....
    if I am wrong then again ....sorry.....
    Last edited by papagran40; 29th April 2008 at 05:54 PM.

West Midlands, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View alm1995's Feedback (+9673)
    All-About alm1995
    View alm1995's Listings
    Forum Posts

At least you can see the postage at the start before you decide to proceed to purchase.
    On a lot of websites you have no idea what the postage is (even looking throughout their pages doesn't give you the answer) until you get to their checkout after you have purchased
    eBids way is better

ahhh another reason why I like eBid (memo) add to that thread
    alm1995

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Lingerie-Collections-Plus
    for your everyday ladies underwear needs

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Roberts-Books
    for Books | DVD's | Video's

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Stitch-Art-Originals
    for Cross Stitch, Craft and Haberdashery supplies

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Showcase
    for Costume Jewellery | House and Home

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/MaggiesOnlineStore
    A variety of used and new items

Quote Originally Posted by benjistone View Post
    Hasn't been my impression, but perhaps I'm looking at different categories or have different attitudes. Can you give some examples please?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

I've never understood the "I hate excessive postage" arguement. It's something which seems to be used by people who have a general axe to grind against anything in life, and who have nothing better than to whinge and snitch on other people.

If you don't like the postage, no one's forcing you to buy the item.

It's an item's dirt cheap but has high postage, the item may well still be a bargain when the two costs are added together. I've never understood why any prospective buyer thinks it has anything at all to do with them if a seller wishes to cover their fees in the postage charge.

These people need to wake up. Without this practice having gone on for years, eBay and most other auction sites would've died on their arse within a month of going live because the majority of sellers would've made a loss on what they sold, or not enough of a profit to make selling worthwhile.

View kait's Feedback (+70)
    All-About kait
    View kait's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile

i agree that the seller has to cover costs and as a rule most buyers accept this as part of the overall costs when purchasing..

i think the point that was being made is one i can totally agree with, sell an item for little and charge lots for postage...

dont get me wrong, if the item is heavy then there should be a larger p+p charge, thats a given...

its the piddly wee things that should only be 99p and £1 p+p but some come over as 99p and £3.50 or worse the other way round. when it is clear the item does not carry that value.

it is of course different when sending internationally, the charges then escalate way out of control... thanks to RM new regs..

i believe buyers are savvy to the +fee in p+p but get really anoyed when the seller takes the preverbial p+p

i, myself do not feel i that i go over the top on P+P as i see no reason to rip ppl off... if on the occasion i do sell on the dark side, and the p+p that is charged for multiple item purchases is higher than that which i pay, then i tend to refund the buyer the majority of the difference.(to a nice round figure of course)..

Thread Information